October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What POSITIVE CHANGES are you making in your life?

More
27 Dec 2022 22:08 #337614 by Jackwraith
Glad you've come through to the (relatively) happy ending. Was wondering what happened to you. Missed you here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Dec 2022 18:31 - 03 Jan 2023 01:22 #337633 by SuperflyPete
Well, I cut the cord with the ex, for good, regarding her chaos. I let her come over and stay the night for Xmas eve and she got drunk and didn’t participate much in our traditions. Then on Christmas she did the same and both my girls were pissed off at Olympian levels. They both agreed that mom fucked up Christmas for the third year in a row.

So, she was going to come by and “finish making the gingerbread houses” the following day…and I straight up told her that she had better not darken my doorstep again if she’s going to be drinking, and both the girls agreed. She was livid and I explained calmly that her drinking has caused us enough distress and that unless we’re specifically having an event like a football game or party, no booze allowed, and also, if she does drink, the minute she gets out of control, her ass is catching an Uber.

She hung up and called both our kids, and both of them explained that she can’t just come over and be high or drunk and expect to be welcome. She came over the following day and did the gingerbread, sober-ish. Still high as shit on weed but that normal functionality for her.

She has been very distant since then. She ~finally~ admitted she hadn’t been faithful in our marriage (no shit, sweetie) and I let her off the hook on it as bygones so maybe she can breathe a little easier without holding onto the guilt…assuming she had any, which is bloody unlikely. She fucking smiled while she said it, so probably not.

Short version: my new position is “fuck chaos” because I have had 100% enough of her bullshit. Being the nice guy for 28 years is enough. I’m sure so many of you here will find great irony in that. :D
Last edit: 03 Jan 2023 01:22 by SuperflyPete.

More
28 Dec 2022 22:43 #337639 by Not Sure

ubarose wrote: I've reconnected with a cousin with whom I have some shared childhood trauma (nothing salacious or abusive). We have been comparing notes, and discovered that our remembered lived experiences are very much the same, and rather different from what we have been told happened. For example, he was told that he broke someone's arm, but he couldn't remember doing it. I know for a fact that person never had a broken arm, but had also heard the same story. Anyway, we are processing our revelations and getting to a place where we are trusting our own memories, although we may never fully understand why others, who were adults at the time of these incidents, created and perpetuated these mythologies. Also, my cousin is quite relieved to have learned that he didn't do half the things he was told he did, and that he isn't insane for not remembering doing them.

This is stating the obvious and I don't need (or even ask for) any more explanation, but that's fucking weird.. I hope you two find your way to a place out of that.

So I don't double-post, Mezike I'd also noticed you'd dropped out of sight, and I'm glad you've come through to the other side. That all sounds hellish. My immediate joke is of course "but booze and pharma are also selling fun!", but I know what having a soul-crushing job is like and I'm happy you're excited about the new gig. We'd be extremely happy to get in a game of JC or something when you have the time. Glad things are looking up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, SuperflyPete, sornars

More
03 Jan 2023 00:37 #337691 by ubarose

Not Sure wrote:

ubarose wrote: I've reconnected with a cousin with whom I have some shared childhood trauma (nothing salacious or abusive). We have been comparing notes, and discovered that our remembered lived experiences are very much the same, and rather different from what we have been told happened. For example, he was told that he broke someone's arm, but he couldn't remember doing it. I know for a fact that person never had a broken arm, but had also heard the same story. Anyway, we are processing our revelations and getting to a place where we are trusting our own memories, although we may never fully understand why others, who were adults at the time of these incidents, created and perpetuated these mythologies. Also, my cousin is quite relieved to have learned that he didn't do half the things he was told he did, and that he isn't insane for not remembering doing them.

This is stating the obvious and I don't need (or even ask for) any more explanation, but that's fucking weird.. I hope you two find your way to a place out of that.

We are starting to piece together some things - little kid memories + new information + current adult understanding. Like as kids, we just knew my cousin's mom slept a lot and slept really soundly. But as an adult examining those memories, I'm inclined to believe it wasn't normal sleep - she was either passed out or taking sleeping pills.

My current theory is that during the times she was supposed to be taking care of us kids, but was actually "sleeping," when things went pear shaped, as they will when you have 4 unsupervised kids between the ages of 8 and 2, she made shit up to cover her ass. Who are people going to believe, an adult woman or a 5 year old? So my cousin and I grew up with all these adults and authority figures (like teachers and the police) believing that he and I did all kinds of bad, crazy, disobedient shit, when in fact we were just little kids fending for ourselves, which sometimes included doing stupid kid things which resulted in a certain amount of chaos and destruction - like setting the kitchen on fire trying to cook, misplacing the two year old, climbing onto the garage roof to try and get into the house through an open window and getting stuck up there when she locked us out of the house (before passing out). Like, if you are supposed to be a the responsible adult, supervising and watching the kids, how do explain all that with out confessing that you have been out cold for the past four hours, other than that the kids are horrible and out of control.

More
03 Jan 2023 19:06 - 03 Jan 2023 19:19 #337707 by Cranberries
This would make a great episode of Reply All (rest in peace) or This American Life. Not to make light of your childhood.

My younger sister began babysitting for our crazy, wealth neighbor. Eventually she just moved in with them and they adopted her as an adult so they wouldn't have to explain her relationship to the wedding guests. She died of brain cancer at 33, and her adopted mom died while getting her final unnecessary surgery. Her adopted dad died shortly after. We have no contact with her kids, and her husband remarried. The end.
Last edit: 03 Jan 2023 19:19 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
04 Jan 2023 13:50 - 04 Jan 2023 14:01 #337713 by ubarose

Cranberries wrote: This would make a great episode of Reply All (rest in peace) or This American Life. Not to make light of your childhood.

It’s fine to make light of it. We often laugh about some of it ourselves. We were no angels. We just got in trouble for things we didn’t do, but got away with the things we did do. Such as getting reprimanded for climbing out the second story window, rather than for scaling the side of the house, climbing onto the roof, and breaking into the house through the second story window.

The only damage is the cognitive dissidence that comes from decades of older family members saying, “Remember that time you all tried to runaway by climbing out the second story window,” and having zero memory of ever doing such a thing. Multiply that many times over, and it can make you doubt all your memories, and sometimes, your sanity.
Last edit: 04 Jan 2023 14:01 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jexik

More
03 Feb 2023 17:34 #338180 by Cranberries

Cranberries wrote: --
So I went to the urologist and he is putting me on 500 mg of Levofloxacin, which is basically Cipro. I'm allergic to sulfa drugs (skin rash). My PSA test scored an 8, which is not crazy high, but he wants to treat my prostatitis so he can retest me in eight weeks. But Levofloxacin, like Cipro, can cause tendinitis and/or ruptured tendons, especially in woman over 60. I am a man in my mid-fifties, and just moved from doing PT to using the back machines at our campus gym, and so I'm worried my tendons will snap like winter rubber bands if I continue my workout routine. I only have about 20 lbs. on the machine. It is embarrassing, but I have discovered late in life that working out gives me a lot of energy during the day, so I need to figure out if I can continue, or just do cardio on the treadmill or what.

The incidence rate for tendinopathy is 0.1% to 0.01%, and the incidence rate for tendon rupture is less than 0.01%.Mar 5, 2019

Ok, so I'm just going to work out, to keep my back happy, but not increase my weights for a month.

Warning: Spoiler!

Update: Two weeks of Levo did not eliminate the prostatitis but helped a little. I need to get serious about it, maybe take some Japanese mushrooms and daily CBD oil.

I went to a new physical therapist today, and it was a great visit. He has me doing a lot of core bodyweight exercises and I am picking up a kettlebell from my son tomorrow for squats. Once I get my core strong I am going to focus on building muscle as a hedge against falling when I am older. PT also suggested I quit doing the torso twist machine, as a lot of patients have said that has been hurting their back. So planks, bridges, squats, etc. and I'll actually do them because my wife and I are going to the gym together, so peer pressure and boredom.

In other news, I have some mutated cells in my prostate. Depending on which country's definition you use, it's either cancer or a minor annoyance to keep an eye on. I really want to clean up the prostatitis so that I can get a clean PSA test. The numbers aren't increasing but they are bouncing up and down which is worrisome. I may live to be 75 instead of 92, so I'm mentally adjusting to that.

My PT also suggested I actually USE my standing desk that I blackmailed my work into buying, and since it hurts less than sitting I have started using it, and am typing this while I stand.

Note the huge snarl of cords.

I found this really cool photography book of early color photos by Stephen North for a dollar. Actually, it was dollar bag day. I love this stuff, and have committed myself to only shooting in RAW and in manual mode for a year, not counting my phone or Canon S95.

It has been nippy here in Orem, Utah, but the mountains make up for it, somewhat:

A student gave me that model F-16 on the right. I like it.

Finally, here is a shot of the farm behind our shiny, brand new library:

My 82-year-old mother lives her 30 year old autistic/smart/manipulative/mentally ill nephew.
Because my mother is a basket of trauma, she is pretty codependent and thinks she can heal him by being positive. Meanwhile her place is starting to resemble a crack house. Nephew is addicted to kratom. We don't say his name out loud while we are visiting or he will show up suddenly. My mom goes in for a lumpectomy on February 15th. I think she will be around for 5-10 more years.

It breaks my heart to see her spending her last years sitting in garbage, but like most traumatized hoarders, she will not change anything, and won't give us power of attorney. Her reverse mortgage is going to run out much faster than she realizes, but she will still have social security so will probably stay with us, because the alternative is two years in a poor care facility and then the sweet release of death.

My yearly theme (CPG Gray) is: Do the hard thing.

Oh, and my own autistic son is holing up after not registering for school this semester, so my wife and I are going to family therapy (without him) which is helping us get tips for helping him through his anxiety and also we are sort of learning to communicate. Sending most of the kids off to college frees up a lot of time and energy.

I'd like to conclude by thanking the makers of Adderall for the energy and motivation to write this.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, mezike, SuperflyPete, Frohike, Nodens, n815e, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
03 Feb 2023 20:51 #338182 by dysjunct
The wife’s birthday is coming up, and we were going stir crazy what with the storms and earthquakes, so we got the heck out of dodge and are staying in a fancy schmancy resort in Mendocino for the weekend.

I recommend it: the Stanford Inn. Rustic, lovely, you can hear the ocean from the balcony outside your room. Also the llamas, which hang out on the grounds. There’s kayaking and bikes and massages and hikes and stuff. It’s pet friendly and room service will bring your dog a little biscuit every day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Frohike, sornars, Nodens

More
03 Feb 2023 23:53 - 06 Feb 2023 14:00 #338183 by Frohike
That sounds lovely. Making a note. I'm in Santa Cruz, so the drive isn't *too* bad.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2023 14:00 by Frohike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
08 Feb 2023 21:28 #338269 by Kmann
Two things have had a massive positive life impact recently. The first was asking for, and receiving a Kindle for Xmas. I've already read six books since getting it which is huge as paper books were something I'd never really make time for. I romanticised them more than actually reading them. Now I'm reading all the time.
The Kindle has also pretty much replaced Twitter for me. Which is a pleasing and unexpected benefit. My resolution had been to give Twitter up anyway as I don't agree with the new management but the Kindle made doing so a lot easier.

The second positive was buying a robot-vacuum cleaner. I'd been looking at them for a while and a recent sale pushed me over the edge. I had planned on picking up the second cheapest one but they only had the lowest entry model left so I just grabbed it. I didn't realise at the time that it didn't have programmable zones or room mapping or any of that clever, advanced stuff. I'd just assumed all these robo-vacs had that. But nope. We are now the proud owners of a real dumbass smart-device.
That said, it does do a fantastic job as it bumbles around the house each morning in a completely haphazard but surprisingly effective fashion. I work from home and having nice, clean freshly vacuumed carpets each day has made a real positive impact.
The joy of seeing a job well done that I didn't have to do myself is very satisfying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Cranberries, hotseatgames, Frohike, sornars, n815e

More
09 Feb 2023 01:17 #338271 by SuperflyPete
Santa Cruz is my happy place. I grew up surfing Rio Del Mar. Played rugby there at tournaments too.

I feel like Long December is sometimes the story of my life
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike

More
09 Feb 2023 09:58 #338277 by dysjunct
I lived in Santa Cruz (and Aptos) for a while. A nice place, although I can’t imagine what housing is like there now. Stupid NIMBYs were ruining everything even two decades ago.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
11 Aug 2023 11:20 #340225 by ChristopherMD
I got an electric tea kettle for my desk and now I drink three cups of tea every day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, birdman37, sornars, n815e

More
08 Dec 2023 12:17 #341225 by ChristopherMD
4 months later, with no one here making positive changes, I've upgraded to a fancy Japanese hot water dispenser. So I just fill it in the morning and I have perfect temp tea water on-demand all day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars, Nodens, n815e

More
08 Dec 2023 14:04 #341226 by n815e
I started mma a couple of months ago. It’s fun, but exhausting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.443 seconds