October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
29 Nov 2018 23:40 #287139 by Gary Sax
I'm tempted to do something dumb and add the wooden tokens upgrade to my spirit island expansion KS. I try not to do shit like that but given how this game is dominating our house and free time, it would be very nice to have meatier tokens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BillyBobThwarton

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Nov 2018 03:30 #287142 by mezike
I dithered on those tokens for a while but decided against. It was the reminder tokens, which are not included, that got me thinking. If those were also wood then it’d be easily confused with the regular presence discs so there will always be some cardboard tokens on the board, and thinking about it I quite like having that third texture that sets apart the pieces with game effects from the actual game pieces. The expansion will have a duplicate set of tokens and there’s more than you need as it is so it doesn’t matter if I have to chuck one that gets a bit gnarly.

Most of all though, you’ve got about eighteen months to make a decision before the backer kit closes so why worry about it now?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Nov 2018 08:55 #287151 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: I'm tempted to do something dumb and add the wooden tokens upgrade to my spirit island expansion KS. I try not to do shit like that but given how this game is dominating our house and free time, it would be very nice to have meatier tokens.

Gary, could you speak for a moment on the Law of Diminishing Marginal Utility?

More
30 Nov 2018 08:56 #287152 by Legomancer

Ah_Pook wrote: I backed QE, because apparently I just just can't have enough auction games that no one I know wants to play. It looks super good though! Kinda like a mash up of High Society and Ponzi Scheme. You bid secretly (the auctioneer writes down a public starting bid, everyone else writes down a secret bid and gives it to the auctioneer. You only know if the starting bid wins or if someone bid more, but not if it was a dollar more or a trillion dollars more). You can bid literally any amount, but the person who spent the most at the end loses.

QE is a great game. Originally it was in a hand made wooden edition, which I backed earlier in the year and have absolutely loved. I'm not even a huge pure auction fan, but the table energy it generates is unbeatable. It's best played with 4, though 3 works. (The version I have didn't come for 5p, and I haven't tried the 5p rules yet.)

I love it so much that I'm tempted to back it *again* for this new version, but my janky wooden one is so quirky and I really don't care for the art design in this one. Still might, though, as the designer has more than earned more than my cash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, Ah_Pook, Vysetron

More
30 Nov 2018 09:32 #287159 by Sagrilarus

Legomancer wrote:

Ah_Pook wrote: I backed QE, because apparently I just just can't have enough auction games that no one I know wants to play. It looks super good though! Kinda like a mash up of High Society and Ponzi Scheme. You bid secretly (the auctioneer writes down a public starting bid, everyone else writes down a secret bid and gives it to the auctioneer. You only know if the starting bid wins or if someone bid more, but not if it was a dollar more or a trillion dollars more). You can bid literally any amount, but the person who spent the most at the end loses.

QE is a great game. Originally it was in a hand made wooden edition, which I backed earlier in the year and have absolutely loved. I'm not even a huge pure auction fan, but the table energy it generates is unbeatable. It's best played with 4, though 3 works. (The version I have didn't come for 5p, and I haven't tried the 5p rules yet.)

I love it so much that I'm tempted to back it *again* for this new version, but my janky wooden one is so quirky and I really don't care for the art design in this one. Still might, though, as the designer has more than earned more than my cash.

Sounds great! What the hell does QE stand for?

More
30 Nov 2018 09:43 #287160 by Vysetron
Quantitative Easing. You play as govt. entities bailing out corporations that aren't allowed to fail. It's 2008 all over again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ah_Pook

More
30 Nov 2018 09:46 #287161 by Ah_Pook

More
30 Nov 2018 13:15 #287176 by Gregarius
A friend in my group has the janky, hand-crafted, wooden edition of QE, and I am so jealous! I backed this one immediately because the designer deserves it, but I would much prefer a copy of that first edition.

More
07 Dec 2018 15:23 #287693 by southernman

southernman wrote: Not a big kickstarter person at all, got slightly stung on the Kremlin mess and backed Space Cadets: Away Missions but otherwise I don't even look a the actual website .. then I saw a link to a new Sword & Sorcery game by Ares, I missed the first one and from what I have seen and read it is a pretty good game so yesterday I paid for my 2019 Christmas present - Sword & Sorcery - Ancient Chronicles.
It closes tonight if anyone is interested.

OK, after jumping in on one fantasy board game I saw this pop up and that it was funded (£40,000) in minutes and when I hit the page still on the first day it was over a million. Had a good read and thought this is a game that I want to play ... so in for another, looks like I'll have a lot of new gaming in 2020:

Tainted Grail: The Fall of Avalon

www.kickstarter.com/projects/awakenrealm...l-the-fall-of-avalon

More
07 Dec 2018 15:47 #287694 by charlest
Yes, I'm in as well on Tainted Grail. Awaken Realms killed it with Lords of Hellas. I'm excited about Nemesis as well which is delivering soon.

More
07 Dec 2018 17:06 #287698 by southernman

charlest wrote: Yes, I'm in as well on Tainted Grail. Awaken Realms killed it with Lords of Hellas. I'm excited about Nemesis as well which is delivering soon.

I just read how the game system worked, exploration similar to The 7th Continent and a story book like Sword & Sorcery with an intriging sounding card combat system - had to try it at that price.

More
07 Dec 2018 17:15 - 07 Dec 2018 17:16 #287699 by Gary Sax
At the risk of being self-parody of TWBG, are miniatures really necessary for what this game is? I'm looking at the these massive minis put on top of what are like big 7th continent tiles and it doesn't make much sense to me.

I do think there's a huge room for this idea though, I see why you guys are on board. A more adventure game fantasy game instead of minis combat or whatever.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2018 17:16 by Gary Sax.

More
07 Dec 2018 19:04 - 07 Dec 2018 19:05 #287703 by cdennett
If I had cared more for the aesthetic of the game, I probably would have bought in. But the half-naked primitive Arthurian legends didn't capture my imagination. And right now I look for any excuse to not buy in to a new game...

But I may end up regretting this one and spending more on the secondary market...
Last edit: 07 Dec 2018 19:05 by cdennett.

More
07 Dec 2018 19:43 #287707 by ChristopherMD

cdennett wrote: But I may end up regretting this one and spending more on the secondary market...

By the time it ships there will be ten other KS's for games just like it. If it doesn't grab you just wait for the next one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, cdennett, Vysetron

More
07 Dec 2018 21:17 #287729 by hotseatgames
I’m still waiting on Lords of Hellas and Nemesis from them. I refuse to buy a third project before I get the first.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.702 seconds