October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
24 Oct 2018 09:11 #284596 by charlest
A big part of this Kickstarter is getting the game to retailers as well, anyone who doesn't want to spend for the whole thing would be fine waiting and picking it up later for somewhere around $65 online.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2018 09:22 - 24 Oct 2018 15:53 #284598 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: A big part of this Kickstarter is getting the game to retailers as well, anyone who doesn't want to spend for the whole thing would be fine waiting and picking it up later for somewhere around $65 online.

My local retailer had a two-word response when I mentioned a KS campaign -- "Fuck Kickstarter". He explained that most games coming out of Kickstarter have already made their sales to local players, so they aren't going to be buying at his store. He gets a couple of copies and they languish for months on the shelves because everyone that wanted it has it. He had tried doing the Retailer thing -- Kickstarting games with the campaign's special offer for FLGS owners, but that they always flopped. He ended up with dead stock that he couldn't recover the money from.

So I think short of games that have a serious set of legs on them Kickstarter is not a particularly attractive path for retailers, at least not brick & mortar retailers.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2018 15:53 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
24 Oct 2018 10:14 #284601 by charlest
That's fine, I'm just saying they didn't have enough copies leftover to get into distribution but they will after this reprint if all goes well (which it apparently is so far, already being funded).

So you may not be able to get it at Sag's retailer, but you will be able to find it online if nowhere else.

More
24 Oct 2018 10:57 #284609 by SuperflyPete

Mr. White wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Looks like the next Kickstarter is up now

www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistga...t-masters-aftershock

Seems as if $109 is the cheapest option -- which is a reprint of all previous content. Doesn't look like they will even be selling pure base games to retailers, just either the original content pack or the expansion pack.

Hmmm...looked at the campaign last night and I'm cured of wanting to back this. It's a shame as I also like the Sadlers, the game looks fun, and the setting is right up my ally. Dubious marketing and outright plagiarism doesn't sit well with me though. If only this were through a more honest company.

What happened?

More
25 Oct 2018 14:26 #284676 by ChristopherMD
www.kickstarter.com/projects/serpentseag...action-anime-rolepla

For my growing collection of RPG's I'll read but never play.

More
25 Oct 2018 14:45 - 25 Oct 2018 15:27 #284678 by Mr. White

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Mr. White wrote:

Space Ghost wrote: Looks like the next Kickstarter is up now

www.kickstarter.com/projects/blacklistga...t-masters-aftershock

Seems as if $109 is the cheapest option -- which is a reprint of all previous content. Doesn't look like they will even be selling pure base games to retailers, just either the original content pack or the expansion pack.

Hmmm...looked at the campaign last night and I'm cured of wanting to back this. It's a shame as I also like the Sadlers, the game looks fun, and the setting is right up my ally. Dubious marketing and outright plagiarism doesn't sit well with me though. If only this were through a more honest company.

What happened?

Well, I think the way they're claiming the campaigns are base + exclusive expansions is a bit dishonest. After the first campaign, their store didn't sell the base game separately, but only in a bundle with the expansion. So...is the really just a base game or is it always a $100+ buy-in? On top of that, if the expansion is exclusive to the KS...why is it sold in the bundle in the online store? Seems to be praying on FOMO during the campaign. This second campaign looks to be the same. I don't see how to get the base game on it's own. Only by spending over $100 can I get it. Heck, they have a bunch of add-on stuff for various prices...the original base game couldn't be an add-on to go along with this new campaign? Maybe I've got it all wrong, but it doesn't feel like it.

However...far more egregious than the above is the blatant theft of art. Many of the characters toe the line very close between homage/inspired and outright rip offs. However, when you're just re-skinning art, making models of it, and selling them...that's hella wrong. I have no idea how they're getting away with it. the fact that they're now also selling an 'art' book is incredulous.

Here's an example. See this 'not-e honda' and 'not-chun-li'? Art and minis.

Hmmm....

that blanka/goro creature is the same. And this is just three from one art piece.

I don't blame the Sadlers for this. I wouldn't guess they have much say here.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2018 15:27 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, cdennett

More
25 Oct 2018 14:53 #284679 by Frohike
When I was initially considering this, I hoped they would mostly use HK manhua style characters, sort of in the vein of Fist of the North Star but this laser focus on Street Fighter/Final Fight cheese doesn't really do it for me. Also, several of the poses are pretty obviously traced, so yeah... the "homage"-turned-plagiarism funk is strong with this one.

More
25 Oct 2018 14:57 #284680 by Mr. White
I actually prefer the Final Fight/Street Fighter world/aesthetic, but I won't support this. I was initially in on the first KS, and a big supporter on BGG, until I noticed the art never changed and didn't seem like it would. Then I got out.

It's a damn shame as this looked to be a lot of fun for me and the kids. Great mix of hero characters to choose from. Genders and styles. Too bad though.

More
25 Oct 2018 14:59 #284681 by Jackwraith
Can't be E. Honda. Not doing the Hundred Hand Slap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
25 Oct 2018 15:17 #284683 by the_jake_1973
I see Sagat below Chun-li. It's even in his traditional game pose.

More
25 Oct 2018 15:36 #284684 by Michael Barnes
Pretty sure I see Sagat, Dhalsim, Akuma, Goro (MK), Poison (Final Fight) King and Kuma (from Tekken)...

More
25 Oct 2018 15:39 #284685 by ChristopherMD
I wonder if they're planning a Fatal Kombat expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
25 Oct 2018 15:41 #284687 by SuperflyPete
Yeah, the designers have almost zero say in the art other than abstract ideas.

More
25 Oct 2018 17:24 #284703 by the_jake_1973
I expect a Deceased or Breathing: Beach Games edition. Or maybe a Killer Instinct expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
25 Oct 2018 18:48 #284714 by Disgustipater
Parasol Inc.? They aren't even trying.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.045 seconds