October 09, 2023
2443 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2643 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Marvel's are you Snapping?

More
11 Feb 2023 14:42 - 11 Feb 2023 19:02 #338295 by Not Sure
I do not understand the card selection mechanism at all. I got a Helicarrier and a Luke Cage quite a while back, and recently got gifted a Galactus. Creeping up on 2k collection level, and I'm still missing (after a count today) something like 25 Tier 3 cards.

Sadly, I don't have Wave so that cuts out a lot of potential Galactus uses. I've been making a go at putting him into a Mister Negative deck, and while the results aren't great, they're often hilarious. There's enough other stuff in there to keep it almost viable, and it's teaching me to retreat rather than chase dumb stuff. I'm not really down a lot, but it's hardly gaining either.

The deck:

(1) Quicksilver
(2) Adam WarlockWolverine
(2) Domino
(3) Ironheart
(4) Mister Negative
(4) Jubilee
(5) Iron Man
(5) White Tiger
(5) Devil Dino
(5) Magik
(6) Arnim Zola
(6) Galactus

I added Quicksilver and Domino because I was drawing too much in the early turns, and not keeping enough reversible stuff in the deck. So slowing down a bit but potentially keeping a little board presence (and hand space!) seemed important.

edit: okay, an interesting quirk of Magik and Galactus is that if the Limbo region is destroyed there is no longer a Turn 7, that effect is revoked. So playing Galactus on Turn 6 ends the game in a surprise fashion. I shot myself in the foot with this a time or two, then used it to my advantage on the region that adds +1 energy if you have no cards there. An early Jubilee pulled out Magik on another slot, so we both left the energy region empty. A Galactus there on T6 left my opponent wondering where his 7th turn was, and why he'd just lost 2-0.

Maybe that's well known and I just don't normally see Scarlet Witch or Storm canceling Limbo and Turn 7, but it surprised me.

Edit 2:
Swapped Adam Warlock (generally useless, even at a reversed 0/2) for Wolverine, who is apparently the new herald of Galactus as he just bounces around until he makes it to the right place, and massively improves the win rate there. Also, faking a T7 is a dirty dirty trick, and I've won some 8-cubes with a surprise there.

Also, even without Galactus, the joys of dropping a Devil Dino and a 0/6 Arnim Zola together on the last turn are pretty good. Drawing a 2/6 Galactus on T5 is the dream, but not the only way.
Last edit: 11 Feb 2023 19:02 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig, DarthJoJo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2023 11:08 - 12 Feb 2023 16:12 #338300 by WadeMonnig
Galacticus: consider green goblin and hobgoblin. Stack them in one opposing lane and Then drop Galacticus on that lane turn 6. Instawin with no boost. Also use death if you have her, she will be free turn 6 after all the destruction.

With the Washington dc hot spot everyone is Patriot. Consider this deck:
# (0) Wasp
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (2) Shocker
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Patriot
# (3) Rogue
# (3) Cyclops
# (4) The Thing
# (5) Abomination
# (6) Onslaught
# (6) Ultron
Rogue is key for anyone silly enough to drop patriot early.
Edit: once you get the hang of the deck, snap if you have patriot in hand and washington comes out, it's about a 90% win rate.
Edit 2: How good is this deck with the current hot location? I swapped ant man out for venom because I wanted to get some venom boosters. I still gained 10 levels so far
Last edit: 12 Feb 2023 16:12 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo

More
13 Feb 2023 18:57 #338316 by WadeMonnig

WadeMonnig wrote: Galacticus: consider green goblin and hobgoblin. Stack them in one opposing lane and Then drop Galacticus on that lane turn 6. Instawin with no boost. Also use death if you have her, she will be free turn 6 after all the destruction.

# (0) Wasp
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (2) Shocker
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Patriot
# (3) Rogue
# (3) Cyclops
# (4) The Thing
# (5) Abomination
# (6) Onslaught
# (6) Ultron
Edit: once you get the hang of the deck, snap if you have patriot in hand and Washington comes out, it's about a 90% win rate.
Edit 2: How good is this deck with the current hot location? I swapped ant man out for venom because I wanted to get some venom boosters. I still gained 10 levels so far

I actually grew fond of this deck and, even with the DC hot location gone, I'm still playing it (it is not NEARLY as dominant but still a contender to slowing rank up). Ironic, since I named it "F'ing Patriot" because I always disliked these decks. I'm kind of amazed how many retreats I get on turn 6 because, even if I didn't pull it, everyone just assumes you have Patriot ready to go because, let's be honest, why would you be playing Shocker, Thing, Abomination for any other reason? So, for once, people knowing what you are playing kind of works to your advantage. Also, it still seems like Ultron surprises people when you use it to play to Death's Domain/ Flooded areas/You can't play card's here areas. I could sour on it at any moment but, hey, it's good in the here and now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, ecargo, DarthJoJo

More
14 Feb 2023 00:00 #338321 by Not Sure
Mystique is the glaring hole in that deck for me.

I have a Kazar/Blue Marvel/Onslaught that's pretty similar, and that I use to burn through "Play 1-cost" missions.

The Galactus deck has been my favorite recently, probably because it's so inappropriate at my rank (high 30s now) that people just don't believe it can be a thing.

Even if the big guy doesn't make it out, the Mister Negative surprises make it playable weird. I've gone from ~30 to ~38 in pretty casual play over the last week, so it's really not doing any worse than most of my decks. Overconfident snaps against my "weak" board help push that up, I'm sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
14 Feb 2023 11:21 - 14 Feb 2023 11:21 #338327 by dragonstout

WadeMonnig wrote:

WadeMonnig wrote: Galacticus: consider green goblin and hobgoblin. Stack them in one opposing lane and Then drop Galacticus on that lane turn 6. Instawin with no boost. Also use death if you have her, she will be free turn 6 after all the destruction.

# (0) Wasp
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (2) Shocker
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Patriot
# (3) Rogue
# (3) Cyclops
# (4) The Thing
# (5) Abomination
# (6) Onslaught
# (6) Ultron
Edit: once you get the hang of the deck, snap if you have patriot in hand and Washington comes out, it's about a 90% win rate.

I actually grew fond of this deck and, even with the DC hot location gone, I'm still playing it (it is not NEARLY as dominant but still a contender to slowing rank up). Ironic, since I named it "F'ing Patriot" because I always disliked these decks. I'm kind of amazed how many retreats I get on turn 6 because, even if I didn't pull it, everyone just assumes you have Patriot ready to go because, let's be honest, why would you be playing Shocker, Thing, Abomination for any other reason? So, for once, people knowing what you are playing kind of works to your advantage. Also, it still seems like Ultron surprises people when you use it to play to Death's Domain/ Flooded areas/You can't play card's here areas. I could sour on it at any moment but, hey, it's good in the here and now.

I think cards like Cyclops/Thing/ESPECIALLY Abomination are pretty garbage in Patriot, for the same reason that, in Magic, you don't play anthem effects combined with 6/6s, you play them with a bunch of 1/1 tokens. With Patriot or ANYthing that buffs a whole bunch of cards, you want to emphasize the "whole bunch" aspect, i.e. go quantity, not quality. So Mr. Sinister, Brood. My Patriot deck only has one actual vanilla card in the deck, so an added benefit is that you don't have to play with boring cards in a Patriot deck. With "quantity" in mind in the rest of the deck, that makes Blue Marvel a much better five-drop than Abomination.
Last edit: 14 Feb 2023 11:21 by dragonstout.

More
14 Feb 2023 15:46 #338328 by blatz

dragonstout wrote:

WadeMonnig wrote:

# (0) Wasp
# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (2) Shocker
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Patriot
# (3) Rogue
# (3) Cyclops
# (4) The Thing
# (5) Abomination
# (6) Onslaught
# (6) Ultron

I think cards like Cyclops/Thing/ESPECIALLY Abomination are pretty garbage in Patriot, for the same reason that, in Magic, you don't play anthem effects combined with 6/6s, you play them with a bunch of 1/1 tokens. With Patriot or ANYthing that buffs a whole bunch of cards, you want to emphasize the "whole bunch" aspect, i.e. go quantity, not quality. So Mr. Sinister, Brood. My Patriot deck only has one actual vanilla card in the deck, so an added benefit is that you don't have to play with boring cards in a Patriot deck. With "quantity" in mind in the rest of the deck, that makes Blue Marvel a much better five-drop than Abomination.

Agreed. I've been running this and just wrecking face.

# (0) Wasp
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (1) Misty Knight
# (2) Shocker
# (2) Mister Sinister
# (3) Patriot
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Brood
# (3) Debrii
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (6) Onslaught
# (6) Doctor Doom

I'm strongly considering subbing out Onslaught for a tech card like Cosmo, Rogue, or Enchantress. Having a secondary finishing move is nice but honestly, this deck doesn't always need one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
14 Feb 2023 17:55 #338331 by WadeMonnig
I hear what you are saying because i always looked at patriot decks with Thing and Abomination as WHY? But this one just works, i can fill the board with ultron if need/want to And people tend to play killmonger early, so i only fear a last reveal 6 turn killmonger. It works way better than it appears on paper. I ran a patriot surfer deck with limited success before the surfer debuff. I definitely hear the case for Blue Marvel over Abomination, I might try that. Still, I just hit 79 with this one, so maybe it's lucky.
Oh, I found out Valkyrie is tier 4, so I still have zero tier 5 cards. Go me.

More
17 Feb 2023 21:14 #338374 by WadeMonnig
Level 3238, I pulled my last tier 3 card (Zero).

More
19 Feb 2023 13:37 #338384 by WadeMonnig
There is a couple of cards dropping from tier 5 to tier 4 and tier 4 to tier 3 (sadly, i have two of the 4 to 3 drops so only maria hill will come easy to me). Be aware of the 5 to 4 drops if you are saving for a tier 5 card, might want to delay picking it up (knull and darkhawk both go to tier 4).Drop should happen with an update before the next season.

More
28 Feb 2023 18:39 #338513 by WadeMonnig
With the current meta of shuri/red skull, valkyrie has been a god send. I'm running a patriot deck of:
# (0) Wasp
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (1) Misty Knight
# (2) Shocker
# (3) Mystique
# (3) Patriot
# (3) Rogue
# (3) Brood
# (5) Blue Marvel
# (5) Valkyrie
# (6) Onslaught
# (6) Ultron
Valkyrie changing all cards to 3 power boosts alot of mine and they still get the patriot/blue marvel boost. Nothing quite tops reducing red skull/she hulk/infinaut to 3 power and beating them with wasp and squirrels.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo, DarthJoJo

More
25 Mar 2023 19:47 #338773 by DarthJoJo
Made infinite last night, helped in no small part by my pool 1 sandbagging to start climbing from 60 and by the new system that adds five ranks with every new level. Nice time to make it because that is a pretty great card back.

Really enjoyed a Negative Wong deck that could do some absolutely wacky plays but was very fragile to basic stuff like Aero, Cosmo and Magneto. The real workhorses were a basic swarm deck and a Sera deck with heavy control options. Cosmo, Enchantress, Shang Chi and Killmonger just win games. The best part is there are only three tier three cards between them and Zero is very inessential. It’s a very solid game as a game and treats the free to play crowd fairly.

More
26 Mar 2023 22:34 #338782 by ecargo

DarthJoJo wrote: Made infinite last night, helped in no small part by my pool 1 sandbagging to start climbing from 60 and by the new system that adds five ranks with every new level. Nice time to make it because that is a pretty great card back.

Really enjoyed a Negative Wong deck that could do some absolutely wacky plays but was very fragile to basic stuff like Aero, Cosmo and Magneto. The real workhorses were a basic swarm deck and a Sera deck with heavy control options. Cosmo, Enchantress, Shang Chi and Killmonger just win games. The best part is there are only three tier three cards between them and Zero is very inessential. It’s a very solid game as a game and treats the free to play crowd fairly.

Congrats on hitting infinite!

Mind posting the two main decks?

More
27 Mar 2023 09:50 #338783 by DarthJoJo
Sera Control

# (1) Nova
# (2) Angela
# (2) Psylocke
# (2) Scarlet Witch
# (2) Sentinel
# (2) Lizard
# (3) Bishop
# (3) Cosmo
# (3) Killmonger
# (4) Shang-Chi
# (4) Enchantress
# (5) Sera

Psylocke could be Zabu, and Scarlet Witch isn’t essential. Otherwise you keep a big hand and counter punch as necessary. Beside her obvious plays, Enchantress into Armor is pretty great.

Swarm

# (1) Ant Man
# (1) Elektra
# (1) Squirrel Girl
# (1) Nightcrawler
# (1) Rocket Raccoon
# (1) Blade
# (1) Zero
# (2) Angela
# (3) Bishop
# (3) Wolfsbane
# (4) Ka-Zar
# (5) Blue Marvel

The ideal line is Angela into Bishop into Ka-Zar into Blue Marvel into dropping six on turn six. Pretty obvious stuff mostly. Elektra might be the best one drop. She can surprise win a Mojo World and always has a target in Sunspot.

More
27 Mar 2023 17:39 #338790 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What Marvel's are you Snapping?
I am coasting this season as well; once I got Sera I just rolled from Gold to Vibranium. The deck list I am using is posted earlier in this thread I think. Using Mysterio over Psylocke; because synergy with Bishop and Nova tricks are so good. I use The Hood/Demon over Cosmo too.

I don’t think I would drop Scarlet Witch; I use her to tame locations that prevent playing cards or that one that makes cards (Sera) cost more on turn 5.

The most important thing is to be going last. You really want to be going last into turn 6 to beat Ultron and Shang-chi’ing nonsense. The slow roll makes Snapping way more effective as well.

More
27 Mar 2023 19:37 #338791 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic What Marvel's are you Snapping?
Won another few games and I am Omega. I lose mostly to misplays, this deck makes you good at Marvel Snap. Very thinky to make sure you are maximizing utility. Sometime you do nothing or have “extra” energy because you shouldn’t play Nova early necessarily. Some tidbits:
•Scarlet Witch is a killing blow against Limbo/Magick. Drop on turn 6; game over while they set up for stuff. I use it against things like Mindscape ( swap hands turn 6) and Rickety Bridge. Sera decks need the whole field.
•Enchantress “kills” Patriot, Wong, Blue Marvel, &c of course, but also Armor, Ant-Man, Devil Dino, Darkhawk, Iron Man, Knull, Morbius, and the downside of your Lizard.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ecargo, DarthJoJo

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds