October 09, 2023
2487 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What VIDEO GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
25 Mar 2023 19:48 #338774 by Gary Sax
Jedi Fallen Order from a few years ago is 3.99 right now on steam if anyone wanted to take a flyer on that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Virabhadra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2023 14:28 #338789 by dysjunct
Rogule -- rhymes with Wordle, and is kind of the same idea but with a tiny roguelike dungeon instead of a word puzzle.

rogule.com/

Simple and light, play over morning coffee/tea/postum.

More
27 Mar 2023 23:08 #338792 by jason10mm
My arcade panel is up and running! All the button leds work and I was even able to get Golden Axe II to play, 1 working rom out of the 4 or 5 I tried.

Hooray?

The boy liked it, and of course the first thing he said was "When did you make THAT?!?"

I was like, "What do you think I do in the garage all weekend??"

Then naturally, after seeing the 2 player panel I've worked on for a month, he says "Cool, can it play 4 players?"

F$^%^#%kin kids.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Erik Twice, Kmann

More
28 Mar 2023 08:23 #338795 by hotseatgames
Yes! Two of them stack their quarters right up here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kmann

More
28 Mar 2023 09:37 #338796 by jason10mm

hotseatgames wrote: Yes! Two of them stack their quarters right up here.

No kidding, working coin slots is his number one request. It's certainly doable, the emulators I've seen do need something to replicate the "insert coins, select player" function. They are just bulky for a panel box meant to sit on a table in front of a TV. Plus for some 4 player games you really need 4 separate coin slots and ain't nobody got time for that. There is a web site where some lady made a really cool faux slot with a spring loaded quarter so it kinda feels like feeding a quarter instead of just pushing a button. Might look into trying that. Really, any action where putting in a quarter closes a switch will do it, the way my panel is built I could almost do a piggy bank gravity drop into a jar.....hmmmmmm back to the shop!!

More
28 Mar 2023 12:21 #338799 by Gary Sax
Terra Nil out today! Had a great demo.

More
04 Apr 2023 16:19 - 04 Apr 2023 16:50 #338900 by hotseatgames
Meet Your Maker released today on Steam, PS5, Xbox One. I participated in 3 different betas, and immediately bought it on release.

This is a sci-fi game in which you are collecting resources to rebuild this entity known as the Chimera. I am vague on the details because I could not give a fuck about the lore. What it really comes down to is you can build a base that harvests energy called GenMat. Other human raiders will attempt to raid your base and steal the GenMat, so you populate your base with traps and guards. This all happens in a passive fashion; you don't personally defend your base. It's also nice that if your traps kill raiders, you can collect resources from their corpses, and if they DO manage to succeed, you don't actually lose anything!

I have just discovered that you get to view replays of raider attempts, so you get to see how they died, how they succeeded, etc. This is incredible, and a real joy to watch people succumbing to your traps.

As you may have guessed, when you aren't building your own bases, you can raid other players' bases. The creativity on display here is staggering, and creeping through the twisty tunnels, trying to find the center without getting impaled is really tense. You can even bring along one co-op buddy, which dramatically lowers the difficulty and increases the fun.

I can't say enough good things about this game, it really has a lot to offer.
Last edit: 04 Apr 2023 16:50 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, jason10mm, sornars, BillyBobThwarton, Dive-Dive-Dive!

More
12 Apr 2023 16:17 #338964 by boothwah
The kids got me Midnight Suns for Xmas- So I upgraded to an Xbox S on my birthday to play it -My thoughts:

I love it, and the parts I thought I would tolerate are some of my favorite things in it.

If you are a hardcore Xcom guy, you'll need to up the difficulty - The base difficulty is "I have to be really strategic so that I can finish this mission in as few turns possible to get extra goodies." If you want to play on "I have to be really strategic to beat this mission" then I would suggest initially starting the slider on hard, and then upping it once you get a squad tuned. I am not that guy. I played on normal.

There is no penalty for "killing blue slimes" - you can idle and do general missions and farm cards and stuff to trick out your roster for as long as you want.

I ended up really enjoying the viewpoint character - The lore and fluff around exploring the abby and light rp ended up being a enjoyable part of the game play loop - Go do a mission, come back and hang out with super peeps and explore the abby a bit. Go to sleep. Look at your loot. Tweak some gear / cards - Go on a mission. So much so that I am currently a little bummed because I blue slimed all my guys to max friendship and level, causing the the intervening character beats between missions to be fewer and farther between. The voice acting is great, other than I knew it was Matt Mercer as soon as my character spoke.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, lj1983, sornars

More
12 Apr 2023 22:07 - 12 Apr 2023 22:07 #338968 by dysjunct
JUPITER HELL, many years after playing the bejimminy out of the freeware earlier design from the designer, DOOM: THE ROGUELIKE.

DoomRL (now "DRL" after getting a C&D letter) was a "coffeebreak roguelike," one that you could play in a coffee break -- instead of e.g. Nethack, where a game might take many days of coming back to the run after breaks. It's not quite a true coffee break, but I've won runs in 30 minutes. It eventually got tiled graphics, but when I was playing it compulsively, it had classic text graphics -- move your "@" around and kill stuff. It was noteworthy for couple of reasons. One is that it used the Doom soundtrack and effects -- doors opening, the classic riff at L1, demons moaning, shotguns cocking, etc. For a gamer of a certain age, this is nostalgia catnip. More interesting from a design perspective is that it was the first RL to really make ranged combat shine. Tons of ranged weapons; rocket launchers to blow holes in terrain and knock creatures around, chainguns for when you need as much lead in the air as possible, and so on. It also introduced classic RL elements like leveling up and character builds -- you could go path an upgrade tree that specializes in shotguns, for example, and unlock things like extra damage or (the god upgrade) the ability to reload for free whenever you move. Because it's a RL, it's turn-based. You can think as much as you want, which (again, for gamers of a certain age) is a nicer option than relying on a dexterity element that might not be as fast-twitch as it was when Doom first dropped, 30 years ago.

So I am pleased to report that JUPITER HELL is more of the delicious, delicious same. The graphics and sound are modern. It's still turn-based, but it uses a clever smoothing algorithm to chain animations together so it looks like you're executing them in real time. The dialogue is a deliberate, possibly cringe throwback to the Duke Nukem style of edgy wit. But it's still a great roguelike that has great upgrade paths, secrets, weird enemies, and most importantly, blowing away demons with heavy ordinance.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2023 22:07 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, birdman37, sornars

More
13 Apr 2023 09:05 #338970 by hotseatgames
Agreed, Jupiter Hell is a lot of fun. And yes, the dialog is terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct

More
13 Apr 2023 18:22 #338986 by birdman37
... and half-price on Steam right now. Damn you both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, hotseatgames

More
20 Apr 2023 16:28 #339077 by RobertB
The latest thing my 'friends' wouldn't shut up about was Brotato on Steam. I can't play it with WASD and mouse, so I play it as a twin-stick shooter. Think Robotron, except you're a cartoon potato. There are 50 (I think) different types (ranged, melee, one that just absorbs damage and blows up). Fight through a wave, buy more weapons and skill ups, rinse repeat until you go through Level 20. You can also play it in Infinite mode, but I'm not good enough for that yet.

I'm also playing Age of Empires IV. It has tactical battle scenarios (ex: Battle of Hastings), and "beat the other guy by meeting objectives" mode. I got it for the second type of gameplay, and I'm getting my ass kicked pretty hard. I'm trying to avoid looking for hints so I can figure it out on my own at the moment.

More
04 May 2023 11:36 #339204 by dysjunct
Picked up HADES on sale and am so far not particularly impressed. It's pretty but kind of twitchy, and WASD plus mouse seems nonoptimal. Not sure what to make of the various upgrades. I'll stick with JUPITER HELL for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
15 May 2023 14:54 #339333 by hotseatgames
A while back, YouTube starting recommending that I watch some videos about the DOOM modding scene. That's the DOOM from 1993, and yes, people are still at it.

A couple of weeks ago, I finally took the plunge. Friends, things have come a long way. These are not just "new maps"... they change all sorts of stuff. The first thing you need to do is get GZDoom, which is basically an updated engine that will play classic DOOM but also all of the new mods.

But I'm here to talk about one specific mod, simply called MyHouse. Supposedly crafted as an homage to the author's dead friend (this mod has lore), it starts out as a simple tour through the friend's childhood home. It quickly becomes something so much more than that, and I'm not even done with it yet.

A download link is in the description to this YouTube video about the mod, which is certainly worth a watch if you have no intention of actually playing it. But if you do play it, I suggest you go in as cold as you can.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, birdman37, Gregarius, Nodens, Ah_Pook

More
20 Jun 2023 11:52 #339732 by Shellhead
I have not been playing any video games lately, or even in the last year. But this article made me laugh:

hard-drive.net/hd/list/every-u-s-preside...9hkpOOgNdwSXmUP3l7UE
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds