October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

What books are you reading?

More
19 Aug 2020 12:06 #313249 by Gary Sax
I'm listening to last year's Expanse book (Tiamat something) and it has been solid, as usual. The commitment to a completely evolving world book to book with major meta changes occuring because of events is pretty impressive.
The following user(s) said Thank You: birdman37

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2020 12:29 #313250 by Shellhead
I am currently re-reading the second Corum trilogy by Michael Moorcock. The Corum books are not as flashy and imaginative as the Elric stories, but they are still reasonably entertaining. Corum is an older character (though young enough, as a member of a long-lived race) and nowhere near as powerful as Elric, so the threats tend to be more like D&D monsters and less like deities. The setting has a strong celtic flavor, apart from the two stories that cross over with Elric.

More
19 Aug 2020 12:36 #313251 by Shellhead

Joebot wrote: Next up, I'm going to read some Patrick O'Brien as a palate cleanser. O'Brien can do more with 250 pages of sparse, effective prose than Sanderson can do with 1000.

Have you tried anything by Roger Zelazny? He tells great stories with an amazing economy of words. A typical Zelazny paperback runs maybe 125 to 150 pages. Here is one of my favorite lines a menacing character from his Amber series: "I enjoy slaughtering beasts, and I think of my relatives constantly."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Aug 2020 13:17 #313256 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: I am currently re-reading the second Corum trilogy by Michael Moorcock. The Corum books are not as flashy and imaginative as the Elric stories, but they are still reasonably entertaining. Corum is an older character (though young enough, as a member of a long-lived race) and nowhere near as powerful as Elric, so the threats tend to be more like D&D monsters and less like deities. The setting has a strong celtic flavor, apart from the two stories that cross over with Elric.

Graphic Audio has Corum in audio form, full dramatic rendition. 30 hours. I'm considering it, either piecewise or buying the whole set for $80 with today's discount. A little pricey, but it's 30 hours, and it's really well done. You can hear a sample here -- www.graphicaudio.net/corum-series-set.html

I'm finishing up The Battle of Surigao Strait which is part of the Leyte Gulf action during World War II. This is by Anthony Tully, one of the authors of Shattered Sword that we discussed years back. It's been good, but it's not as controversial a battle as Midway, so it's as much about exposition as attempting to rewrite any history. I like his approach though -- analysis of the commanders and placing a footing under where they were when they made their decisions. Very person-oriented, very Tuchmanesque. I've been enjoying it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
19 Aug 2020 14:31 #313260 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic What books are you reading?

Sagrilarus wrote: I'm finishing up The Battle of Surigao Strait which is part of the Leyte Gulf action during World War II. This is by Anthony Tully, one of the authors of Shattered Sword that we discussed years back. It's been good, but it's not as controversial a battle as Midway, so it's as much about exposition as attempting to rewrite any history. I like his approach though -- analysis of the commanders and placing a footing under where they were when they made their decisions. Very person-oriented, very Tuchmanesque. I've been enjoying it.

If you haven't read it, I recommend The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors , an acoount of the Battle off Samar .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
19 Aug 2020 23:06 #313288 by jason10mm

Joebot wrote: I finally finished The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson, which I think I've seen mentioned previously in this thread. I liked it, but I didn't love it. Couple of comments:
The ending offers a few tantalizing hints at a larger mystery, and it's only here on page 995 out of 1000 that I start to see some potential for what this series (projected to be ten novels) could provide. I just don't know if I care enough to read any more. We'll see. Sanderson is prolific as hell, so it's hard to imagine any long delays like Martin or Rothfuss.

Next up, I'm going to read some Patrick O'Brien as a palate cleanser. O'Brien can do more with 250 pages of sparse, effective prose than Sanderson can do with 1000.

Yeah, I agree with all of your comments. I'm mid-way through book 3 and it is slloooowwww. A fun ride because there are a lot of hints thrown around and you know with Sanderson that there is absolutely a rock solid explanation for EVERYTHING so it is a guessing game that will pan out.

But the mormon roots do show through in a frustrating way for an adult reader. 14 year old me would devour this stuff and probably not notice but as an adult it feels very prudish.

Anyway, the series does evolve a bit and it does get pretty interesting. But it is a looonng journey.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Aug 2020 15:45 #313300 by engineer Al

Shellhead wrote: I have read Vance's Dying Earth books, and they are amazing. I like the concept of the Demon Prince series, but I tried one and found it just okay.

I am re-reading Dying Earth right now, inspired by a fantastic game of Ultra Violet Grasslands. I am remembering why I love Vance so much, I think he is becoming my favorite author. BUT, his fantasy works are consistently better than his straight up Sci-Fi stuff. I highly recommend the Lyonesse series. Here is a link to an article I wrote a few years back about Jack Vance:

therewillbe.games/articles-trash-culture...i-library-jack-vance
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
20 Aug 2020 19:13 - 20 Aug 2020 19:15 #313306 by OhBollox
What It Is Like To Go To War, Marlantes. A rather unflinching book from someone who wrote one of the best books about the Vietnam War (Matterhorn), he discusses taking part in war, killing, and how to deal with it.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2020 19:15 by OhBollox.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
20 Aug 2020 19:16 #313308 by Gary Sax

engineer Al wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I have read Vance's Dying Earth books, and they are amazing. I like the concept of the Demon Prince series, but I tried one and found it just okay.

I am re-reading Dying Earth right now, inspired by a fantastic game of Ultra Violet Grasslands. I am remembering why I love Vance so much, I think he is becoming my favorite author. BUT, his fantasy works are consistently better than his straight up Sci-Fi stuff. I highly recommend the Lyonesse series. Here is a link to an article I wrote a few years back about Jack Vance:

I bought the whole leather bound Lyonesse saga on your rec years ago, I need to get that thing out.

More
20 Aug 2020 20:36 #313311 by engineer Al

Gary Sax wrote: I bought the whole leather bound Lyonesse saga on your rec years ago, I need to get that thing out.

WTF Gary?

Actually, I could see the whole thing in one volume being a bit intimidating. It must be about 1500 pages. Just read the first book!!!!

Also, I take NO responsibility! Even five years ago you said you already owned it and needed to "get around" to reading it. Well, maybe someday you will be forced to spend five months trapped in your house...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
21 Aug 2020 15:38 #313358 by jay718
Replied by jay718 on topic What books are you reading?

engineer Al wrote:

Me too!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

More
21 Aug 2020 16:10 #313359 by ChristopherMD
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius because it sounded interesting. Just started so not much to say about it right now.

More
21 Aug 2020 17:39 #313365 by Dr. Mabuse

ChristopherMD wrote: Meditations by Marcus Aurelius because it sounded interesting. Just started so not much to say about it right now.

Me too, but I found it hard to read from start to finish so instead, I've been hopping around and taking note of the passages that resonate with me. I've been making Stoic Study* posters of late to help with retaining some of his observations.

*On Instagram I follow a screenprinting and gig poster artist (Jim Madison) who is also a Christian and every week he makes these amazing posters for his bible study class. I'm not religious but i love that idea so much I decided to make my own.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Nodens

More
21 Aug 2020 17:43 #313366 by Dr. Mabuse
Currently starting in on Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler. After years ad years of reading Eurocentric sci-fi/ fantasy, I'm looking forward to delving into some Afrocentric work.

More
21 Aug 2020 17:47 #313367 by Gary Sax
My wife has been raving about that book this summer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.646 seconds