October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Survive: Escape from Atlantis! - Love it or Hate It? Do you Still Play It?

More
14 Dec 2018 10:34 #288144 by ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2018 11:30 #288145 by hotseatgames
I still think this game is great, but I don't often get a chance to play it. I only ever got the extra player expansion. I do have one criticism on the components; mine came with stickers for the value of each meeple, and those do NOT stay on. Easily remedied, but still annoying.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
14 Dec 2018 11:47 #288147 by Michael Barnes
Absolute best of the best. Play it frequently. Always fun. Have never touched any of the expansions. I’ve had every major version of this including Escape from Atlantis. The only one that sucks was the original reprint, it looked HORRIBLE. The more recent 30th edition version looks great. I got mine at a Goodwill. It was new in shrink and everything inside was fine but the box was massively damaged- it looks like a shark bit it. So naturally, it has character.

Space Attack is great. It adds a little complexity and some pew-pew, making it slightly more aggressive. It’s really kind of underrated...and our very own Geoff Engelstein did the additional design on it. My son likes it better than the original.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Frohike

More
14 Dec 2018 11:53 #288149 by charlest
I really like this game, but my group never is too enthusiastic about it. Waiting for my daughter to get old enough.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
14 Dec 2018 11:54 #288150 by Matt Thrower
Real shelf toad for me, and one I probably ought to pass it on. But I can't quite bring myself to do it.

See, the thing is, it sounds great. It ought to work. But in practice, for me at least, it's a great game without a niche. It's a casual game that's no good for casual play because it's so mean. And if you want to play it with the mean crowd, I'd rather have a game with a bit more depth or a bit less play time.

I imagine all my value stickers have fallen off in the years since it last saw the table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 Dec 2018 12:13 #288151 by lj1983
This is a great family game. not to difficult rules. Everything is so mean, that its hard for people to take it personally. My kids love it, and it was a fairly regular thing at game night when I used to go.

More
14 Dec 2018 12:13 #288152 by edulis
Still play this one with the kids. They pull it out when they have sleep overs.

More
14 Dec 2018 12:19 #288154 by Jackwraith

charlest wrote: I really like this game, but my group never is too enthusiastic about it. Waiting for my daughter to get old enough.

Yep. This, exactly. I love this game. I think it's a slick design and does exactly what it says on the tin. But my group could just never get into it, so I traded it. I've never tried any of the expansions or Space Attack, etc.

More
14 Dec 2018 12:24 #288156 by Vysetron
We have Space Attack on the forever shelf. Subtle, strong changes in that version. It's one of my wife's favorite games and while I don't hold it quite as high it absolutely sings with a mean table. Got our copy signed by Geoff, Sydney, and some dude named Buonocore at DTC.

More
14 Dec 2018 14:50 - 14 Dec 2018 17:14 #288164 by Josh Look
The yardstick by which I measure all family games. Still love it, will always say yes to playing it. I wouldn’t go as far as to say it’s my favorite game of all time, but no game in my collection is more special nor has more great memories associated with it.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2018 17:14 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
More
14 Dec 2018 17:00 #288168 by Colorcrayons
Survive is one of the best games ever made.

It is the only game whose track record is 100% among every player I have introduced it to.

It is evergreen. Timeless.

Those who spurn Survive are philistines who should be stoned and ostracized for their heresy. :P

More
14 Dec 2018 17:05 #288169 by RobertB
I like it. My family gamers won't play it because it's too cutthroat. My daughter's friends won't play it for the same reason. They have no problem whatsoever with lying their asses off playing something like Coup or One Night Ultimate Werewolf, but steering a shark over their player makes them upset.

More
14 Dec 2018 18:34 #288181 by bearklaw
I love this game, though it is probably the worst named game ever, since the goal isn't surviving but killing all your friends. (At least that is how we play it.)

This has been a hit with the family for years, and for some reason my more serious gaming group recently got into it, so if anything its seeing the table more now than it did back in 2011.

More
14 Dec 2018 19:35 - 14 Dec 2018 19:36 #288194 by drewcula
I'm been enjoying Friday happy hour, so with three drinks in I exclaim, "I FUCKING LOVE SURVIVE!"

I played it thirty years ago with a new friend I had just met (our mother were BFFs in high school, and when they reconnected - our age and interests were a commonality). That friend and I still hang out every Thursday night, albeit blowing shit up on Xbox Live.

Anyway, I got a copy of that old game from thirty years ago at the Goodwill five months ago. Four bucks. It has so much more character than Stronghold's pathetic first crack at college freshmen graphic design. Visuals criticized, I still own my Stronghold copy and it's two expansions. It gets regular play.

All I'm saying is when I remove a whale from the board? It's because I'm playing a Tile that's printed in English stating, "Harpoon a Whale."

And deep down, I'd like to lay my hands on a copy of that Plastic Fantastic version that Waddington's Games published.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2018 19:36 by drewcula.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds