October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - PitchCar - Love It of Hate It? Do You Still Play It?

More
05 Apr 2019 09:50 #295025 by ubarose
Love It of Hate It? Do you still play it?...

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Apr 2019 11:15 #295026 by DarthJoJo
Sometimes I’m tempted by SEAL Team Flix or Flick ‘Em Up, but then I ask myself “Why? I already have Pitch Car and two expansions.” Just waiting for the boys to stop shoving every chokable object in their mouths to bust it out on the regular.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mc

More
05 Apr 2019 11:45 #295028 by charlest
My only problems with PitchCar are:

1. Setup can take forever with jumps and expansion elements
2. The official way to figure out who starts where requires a time trial which is so damn terrible when playing with a lot of people (basically you have to watch others complete a full lap one at a time just to seed starting positions)

So we stopped doing the time trial and just randomize it, but I have found that people who start ahead in the pack have an advantage, or more accurately, those who start in the back at a large player count have a serious disadvantage (too much shit in the way).

Maybe my aggravation comes from mostly playing this with 5+ players instead of just 3 or 4.

More
05 Apr 2019 12:06 #295031 by hotseatgames

DarthJoJo wrote: Sometimes I’m tempted by SEAL Team Flix

do it do it do it do it do it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Jackwraith, DarthJoJo, Vysetron

More
05 Apr 2019 13:03 - 05 Apr 2019 13:19 #295035 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: 1. Setup can take forever with jumps and expansion elements

Are you kidding me? That's half the fun right there!

charlest wrote: 2. The official way to figure out who starts where requires a time trial which is so damn terrible when playing with a lot of people (basically you have to watch others complete a full lap one at a time just to seed starting positions)

Wait . . . it comes with rules? I should look for those.

Curious timing on this one, as the Mid-Atlantic Gaming Extravaganza (slots still open!) is coming up and my buddy Chris explicitly asked me to bring my Pitch Car just this past Monday. Last Year I didn't bring it because I didn't want to lug it and I was the dog of the week. It stays set up on one end of the table and people are adjusting it all weekend long. It gets heavy usage between other games.

I have two basic sets, two Expansion 2s and one Expansion 5. A LOT of pieces, in various states of repair. But that's Pitch Car. There's no promise of everything being clean and fair and dependable. Half the fun is dealing with trouble.

And with care, you can build in a lot of trouble. On one of these past gaming weekends we discovered there are ways to set up the track that are not . . . as the game was designed. Not sure how to describe them, but Expansion 2 with its blunt-ended pieces allows you to create crossing spots pretty much anywhere, where the path of travel doesn't have to go straight across, and where you can create lanes with just a one-inch gap that you have to shoot your car through. The game suddenly gets a whole lot more challenging.

Pitch Car is like golf. You can stink up an entire game, but attain legendary status by that one crazy roller that turns two corners, runs down the straightaway and then lands right-side up.

P.S. If you're reading the rules you're playing it wrong.
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 13:19 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo

More
05 Apr 2019 13:20 - 05 Apr 2019 13:21 #295036 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote:

charlest wrote: 1. Setup can take forever with jumps and expansion elements

Are you kidding me? That's half the fun right there!

Sure. I have a shit ton of minis you can paint and I won't even charge you for the fun.

C'mon Sag, that comment about rules is bullshit. Then why don't we just flick rocks off the table and watch them bounce? I'll just go 30 times in a row and we'll play simultaneously right, who needs rules?
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 13:21 by charlest.

More
05 Apr 2019 13:30 #295038 by Colorcrayons
Pitch Car is the game I want to own and would love to play.

There isn't enough storage space to deal with it, nor gaming space to play it in house.

But like most games I own, it would never be played.

More
05 Apr 2019 13:32 - 05 Apr 2019 13:38 #295039 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote: C'mon Sag, that comment about rules is bullshit. Then why don't we just flick rocks off the table and watch them bounce? I'll just go 30 times in a row and we'll play simultaneously right, who needs rules?

Please excuse the poetic license, didn't mean to strike a nerve.

You need rules, just not THE rules. You could set Pitch Car down in front of a couple of three year olds and they'd have it up and running in about ten minutes. That's the beauty of the game. How you play is intuitive, and anything that gets in the way of that is to be set aside. (The other game that I think does this is Sputnik, but I'm not sure how many others here have even played it.) The components provide all you need to establish free-form play, adjust rules to taste.

To be honest I do recall reading about that qualifier bullshit at some point in the past, but it seemed so absurd that we never did it even once. We just put the cars down and play. The game gets a sort of rotation going, with all players circling the table as each person takes their turn. We had to establish a no-goosing rule to keep the peace. (My buddy Jeff still won't stand with his back to me, regardless of which game we're playing. Hasn't since 2009.)

First rock flicked off the table is the target rock. Each person flicks their rocks one at a time. All rocks that follow score three points if they're closest to the first rock, two points if they're second closest, one point if they're third, fourth or fifth closest. Any rock that hits the first rock scores eight points. First person to fifteen wins. Rock Flicka! On Kickstarter starting next week, WAY better than Seal Team Flix!
Last edit: 05 Apr 2019 13:38 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, WadeMonnig, mc

More
05 Apr 2019 13:56 #295047 by WadeMonnig

Sagrilarus wrote:

charlest wrote: C'mon Sag, that comment about rules is bullshit. Then why don't we just flick rocks off the table and watch them bounce? I'll just go 30 times in a row and we'll play simultaneously right, who needs rules?

First rock flicked off the table is the target rock. Each person flicks their rocks one at a time. All rocks that follow score three points if they're closest to the first rock, two points if they're second closest, one point if they're third, fourth or fifth closest. Any rock that hits the first rock scores eight points. First person to fifteen wins. Rock Flicka! On Kickstarter starting next week, WAY better than Seal Team Flix!

If you thought the eco terrorist got people in tizzy, Seal Team Reflix steals this idea only you are flicking tiny baseball bats at baby seal meeples. Coming to kickstarter in a 24 hour fear of flicking out blitz.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, hotseatgames

More
05 Apr 2019 14:09 #295051 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote:

Please excuse the poetic license, didn't mean to strike a nerve.

You need rules, just not THE rules. You could set Pitch Car down in front of a couple of three year olds and they'd have it up and running in about ten minutes. That's the beauty of the game. How you play is intuitive, and anything that gets in the way of that is to be set aside. (The other game that I think does this is Sputnik, but I'm not sure how many others here have even played it.) The components provide all you need to establish free-form play, adjust rules to taste.

To be honest I do recall reading about that qualifier bullshit at some point in the past, but it seemed so absurd that we never did it even once. We just put the cars down and play. The game gets a sort of rotation going, with all players circling the table as each person takes their turn. We had to establish a no-goosing rule to keep the peace. (My buddy Jeff still won't stand with his back to me, regardless of which game we're playing. Hasn't since 2009.)

Sorry, a bit grumpy today.

My point was that the time trial was a flaw. It seemed like you were arguing it's not a flaw, and to simply ignore it. Having to ignore rules of a game is exhibitive of a flaw in my opinion.

But I agree, ignore it and play anyway. If someone else will set this up and I can just jump right in and play, it's a good time.

More
05 Apr 2019 14:48 #295058 by GorillaGrody
I think this game’s fun. A few years ago, I developed a version for it that incorporated power ups based on the old Wipeout games on PS1. Vastly improved the game for us.

Files here: www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/95187/wipeout-variant-pitchcar

More
05 Apr 2019 22:52 #295061 by dysjunct
It’s okay but weighs a ton and isn’t as fun as Zoo Ball. Which is easier to transport and costs a tenth.

I had Pitchcar and most of the expansions. Gave it to my brother who is a big Formula 1 fan. On the grounds that if I really want to play it I can play with him. It’s been about ten years and I haven’t played it, so there you go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

More
07 Apr 2019 23:41 #295121 by san il defanso
This is one of those games that seems like I should enjoy it more than I usually do. It might be because I have never played with all of the expansions. Mostly I've just played with the straightaway tracks.

I am not much good at flicking games either. I have a hard time combining precision with any kind of power when making my shot. It might be a genre that just doesn't work for me very well.

More
08 Apr 2019 08:18 #295124 by Vysetron
PitchCar is good. I prefer my dex games to either be a bit more ambitious or a bit less enormous, but I'll happily play other people's sets.

Also is no one else going to mention the typo in the title?

More
08 Apr 2019 09:49 #295129 by Sagrilarus

Vysetron wrote: PitchCar is good. I prefer my dex games to either be a bit more ambitious or a bit less enormous, but I'll happily play other people's sets.

Also is no one else going to mention the typo in the title?

And it's pricey. I got the bulk of my stuff back when you could still get online discounts for the game, likely saved me $50 or $75.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Vysetron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds