October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Titan - Love It or Hate It? Do You Still Play It?

More
21 Jun 2019 00:00 - 21 Jun 2019 09:34 #298724 by ubarose
This week we are flashing way back with Titan, which...

Love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

Read more...

Help me choose next week's Flashback Friday by rating the games you want to talk about. I choose games that have ratings, as it indicates to me that our readers have played them and have opinions about them.

If a game that you want to talk about isn't in the directory, please add it. (just fill out as much information as you know. We will fill in the rest.)

Board Game Directory
Last edit: 21 Jun 2019 09:34 by ubarose.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2019 07:25 #298725 by Legomancer
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb

More
21 Jun 2019 07:28 #298726 by drewcula
Titan is only on my radar because of information gathered over the years on this site. I know there are some old school F:ATties that swear by it. I'm a lover of Ameri-trash. I'm fragile. I should love Titan, right?

More
21 Jun 2019 09:50 #298735 by jeb
Love it! Play it?—not so much. I am definitely in the "masterpeice" side of the debate though, if there is one. Strategy on the Masterboard, Tactics on the Battleboards, and all the dice. This is one of those games people complain about because there is so much dice throwing and "randomness" but that all goes away because there is so much dice throwing. It turns into a stochastic exercise where you can be reasonably assured of outcomes for a lot of the fights. A lot of fights never even happen because it's negotiated away or just immediately surrendered.

There is a beautiful iOS app, you can play act acts.warhorsesim.com, and in person, the Valley Games edition is a beauty.

The worst thing about it is the people that play it. They are insufferable about how great it is, and it's pretty obnoxious. On that note, I will bow out. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
21 Jun 2019 10:47 #298737 by quozl
I liked it better as the old computer game, Archon.

More
21 Jun 2019 11:07 #298738 by hotseatgames
I have only played the app, solo. I enjoyed it and wouldn't mind exploring it again. I can imagine it being insufferable with more than 1 live opponent.

I love the idea of it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
21 Jun 2019 14:55 #298752 by Michael Barnes
Great concept, innovative battle boards, interesting muster rules, tons of monsters...and boooooooooring. I do like the app version, it’s more fun than the physical game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
21 Jun 2019 15:16 #298753 by bearklaw
I have fond memories of playing 6-player marathons of Titan in the 80s, but can't say I have had an urge to dust off my old copy in at least 15 years. In. my mind the system hasn't aged well, and the down time can be terminal to your enjoyment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, jeb, Gary Sax

More
21 Jun 2019 16:45 #298763 by jeb
You really need to keep people from agonizing about what to do. Make sure they are playing legal and make them go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
21 Jun 2019 17:08 #298764 by Space Ghost
I would still play in person -- love the game. I don't want to play with people who spend all day thinking about how to split stacks. Play should move at a decent clip, at least until a battle. Most battles should be conceded...so there's that.

More
22 Jun 2019 13:45 #298774 by NeonPeon
I want to love this but I only played a learning game once that we aborted after a few hours. Gaming time is too scarce these days. :(

More
23 Jun 2019 17:00 #298783 by Count Orlok
Titan is really fun and interesting, but is just old-school in all the worst ways. Really long play time, repetitive, and player elimination (which can knock you within minutes for a 6-8 hour long game). With that said, it is fun to play digitally, but I run into the problem of playing carelessly and it loses something, oddly enough, in how it plays so quickly and just feels trifling. A great demonstration of how much the computer saves in terms of book keeping but still pale in comparison to regular pc strategy games.

I started to draft up a heavily revised and streamlined game inspired by Titan (that I decided to call "Titanium" for fun), but I just don't think the mix of strategic and tactic works that well. Honestly, I don't even like the Total War games for that very reason on the PC. Give me an in-depth strategy game or an in-depth tactical game, but not a weak version of both together. So while I love Titan, it's day has probably passed. Play it digitally if at all.

More
23 Jun 2019 17:17 #298784 by Michael Barnes
Something to remember is that Titan was made for a time when you didn’t go to game night with 10 games in an IKEA bag. You went to play Titan. Everybody came for that, not to check out the latest releases. People prepared to play and anticipated the length, downtime, and elimination. No one cried about it. And then next week- you played it again.

This is how hobby games used to be played.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample

More
23 Jun 2019 18:51 - 23 Jun 2019 19:00 #298785 by Count Orlok
Absolutely agree, Barnes. It really is great when everyone's expectations are tuned for such an experience, but it's become an unfortunate rarity these days. I had a great group where we played such games (Titan, Age of Renaissance, Here I Stand) weekly, but then I moved away and I've lost it all. That was ten years ago now, and I doubt I'll get to play Titan with flesh-and-blood players again in the next ten.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2019 19:00 by Count Orlok.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

More
23 Jun 2019 19:52 #298786 by Michael Barnes
OMG I can’t even imagine trying to get people to play Age of Renaissance today. And it’s awesome.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds