October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Flashback Friday - Wiz-War - Love It Or Hate It? Do You Still Play It?

More
28 Jun 2019 10:36 #298975 by ubarose
Capture the flag with wizards and spells.
Wiz-War was first published in...

Capture the flag with wizards and spells.

Wiz-War was first published in 1985 by Jolly Games. The first edition of the game had photocopied chits and rules and the board tiles were silk screened by hand by Tom Jolly. Game materials were inproved over the next serveral editions. It went out of print after it's 7th edition which was published in 1997. Fantasy Flight Games published the 8th edition in 2012.

It is considered a  "beer & pretzels" game. Do you agree? What do you think of Wiz-Wars? Do you have a favorite edition? Do you love it or hate it? Do you still play it?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2019 10:59 #298976 by quozl
I got this in '91 or '92 and loved it. We played so many games of this. Then when the new version was coming out, I traded out the old version and now I have the FFG version with both expansions. We play old style, of course.

It's so fun because of all the crazy cards and the way the game gives you license to use your creativity when playing those cards. A solid block of stone can block a passage, sure, but it can also trap a treasure or a wizard in a dead-end. And rotating one of the boards is always good for a surprise move (even a win!)

It's one of those games that is not only crazy fun while you play it but also sticks in your memory as you love to be able to say "Remember that time when...?"

I remember that time. It was so much fun!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Saul Goodman

More
28 Jun 2019 11:10 #298980 by ubarose
@quozl

Do you ever regret trading away your old copy. I kind of get a hankering for it's simplicity sometimes. We still have ours, but no one wants to play it,
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
28 Jun 2019 11:24 #298982 by hotseatgames
I have the FFG edition, complete, and fully painted. I love this game, and wish I could play it more.

I do think it's a bit hard to teach. It seems like it should be really simple but there are actually a lot of rules. Some of the cards have a lot of text on them that can overwhelm a new player.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
28 Jun 2019 11:32 #298985 by Shellhead
I have never played the FFG version of Wiz-War. I downloaded and printed some PnP files from BGG in 2007 and made my own set. It hasn't hit the table a lot over the years, because it's harder to get a PnP game on the table then a game with professional production quality components. But every game that we played was fun, even the time when we played a six-player game that ran nearly 3 hours. I keep forgetting that I have this game, because I store the components in a box swiped from an rpg in my collection. Will bring Wiz-War to the the monthly hipster boardgame meetup in July or August.

More
28 Jun 2019 11:35 #298986 by Michael Barnes
Yes I still play and yes I miss my old copy with the one color boards, crappy parchment cards, and ugly Foglio illustrations. It was quaint and charming in a way that games rarely ate anymore.

The FFG Edition is fine, complete, and has some decent revisions. But it’s somehow lacking because it’s not cheap and crude. It’s like an HD remaster of a low budget film- it loses the grit and grain that made it unique.

Such a volatile game...I’ve had sessions where I was ready to burn the game in a fire and then others that were incredible.

It’s a masterpiece.

More
28 Jun 2019 11:44 #298987 by charlest
We still play this regularly (last week I pulled out a rare win). One of my top games and one my entire group is behind.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Frohike

More
28 Jun 2019 11:49 - 28 Jun 2019 11:52 #298989 by Saul Goodman
When I played the older version of Wiz War at age 11 I had a blast. I've since played FFG's version quite a bit and have had some great times with it. I agree though that it can be frustrating to play - there often seem to be a lot of misinterpreting cards.
An amazing game when it's at it's best. Really frustrating at it's worst.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2019 11:52 by Saul Goodman.

More
28 Jun 2019 11:52 #298991 by Not Sure
Look at my face. What do you think?

"Masterpiece" is a good word for it. It's the game that brought me back into gaming after a long time away.

This thread does remind me that we haven't seen Colorcrayons around in a while. Another victim of site drama, I guess.

More
28 Jun 2019 12:12 #298993 by quozl
I do miss my old set a little. I wonder what we'd play if I'd kept it. Some sort of combination of old and new? I don't know. I'm perfectly happy with the new stuff though.

And I find it easy enough to teach. We just throw in new players. Sometimes they're hesitant to play cards but they usually get into it by the end of the game. Then you have to play again.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, n815e

More
28 Jun 2019 12:13 #298994 by jeb
An all-time great. Haven't played in a bit, but it's in the mix, for sure. It's never not fun. I like that it can be quick. I see a lot of games that have the time down to like, microseconds: 75 to 90 minutes. WIZ-WAR is more like 5 to 65 minutes.

More
28 Jun 2019 12:19 #298997 by n815e
I love it.
It’s not a game to get into arguments over.
Is winning a wacky, chaotic game of dueling wizards so important to you?
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jeb, Frohike

More
28 Jun 2019 13:13 #299000 by drewcula
I LOVE WIZ-WAR
LONG LIVE WIZ-WAR

It's epic, and randy, and absurd, and shaking up a can of beer and cracking it open beside the face of a sleeping toddler.

The only thing I can complain about Wiz-War is FFG's stupid decision to stop short with their expansions. God damn did I want that sixth board, sixth Wizard, and a few more monster minis. Stag! Stag! Stag!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, HiveGod, Vysetron, n815e

More
28 Jun 2019 14:46 #299005 by Vysetron
A classic for a reason, though admittedly I'm basing that off of one play from a while ago. Such a blast. When this game inevitably comes back into print I'll seriously consider nabbing it. Then again, do I really need it when I have Zimby Mojo?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, BillyBobThwarton

More
28 Jun 2019 14:48 #299006 by charlest

Vysetron wrote: Then again, do I really need it when I have Zimby Mojo?

I think there are similarities, but they still vary quite a bit. The pacing is completely different as Wiz-War is fast and brutal while Zimby Mojo is more strategic and lengthy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vysetron

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds