October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Best of 2021 Guide - Still Inaccurate, Still Incomplete, But Now with a Significant Delay!

More
13 Apr 2022 08:47 #332277 by WadeMonnig
Best Two-Player Experience- Cthulhu Wars Duel

If you are searching for the definitive best of 2021 boardgame guide, look further. This isn’t it. This is my list of the best and most notable games that I personally played in 2021. It is most assuredly incomplete, date inaccurate, but I hope it can provide you with some insights on a few great experiences. One thing that I can say about 2021 is that I finally played EVERY game in my collection. Whether you call it the “Shelf of Shame” or “Shelf of Opportunity” or something else to help justify dust collecting on unopened games, I managed to play everything I actually own. It wasn't a conscious decision to play them all until I looked at my collection toward the end of the year and realized there were only one or two that I had not played yet. This not only lead me to have played a bunch of new (to me) games in 2021 but also lead me to send many of those to the great secondary market in the sky.

Read more...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2022 14:24 #332278 by charlest
I'm a huge Cthulhu Wars fan, but I have no desire to try duel. I'd rather just play other games I'm not getting to the table enough at that player count. Still, maybe I should try it sometime.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
13 Apr 2022 14:37 #332281 by WadeMonnig

charlest wrote: I'm a huge Cthulhu Wars fan, but I have no desire to try duel. I'd rather just play other games I'm not getting to the table enough at that player count. Still, maybe I should try it sometime.

I believe CW Duels: extinction just came out. Which should give a nice mix to available Clans to play in the duel set-up if it's mixed with the orginal release.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
13 Apr 2022 18:31 #332286 by Jackwraith
Duels is actually pretty cool if you're in the mood for Cthulhu Wars or something similar and don't have any other two-player DoaM games. (I, uh, have several.) You're right in that it's not going to be a real shift from the original game because it's basically just a couple rules tweaks that otherwise plays exactly like the regular version, which is fine if you're a fan. I enjoy the lower tension/less sprawling nature of it, so I think it's worthwhile to at least try.

Wade, you're the second person that tried to pre-empty my complaints about Imperium (the other being Dan Thurot) by assuring me that Rise of Ix solves what I regard as the game's fundamental flaw: lack of card shedding. Part of what makes Tyrants of the Underdark so good is the ability to purge your deck of the starting crap that can otherwise hamstring you in the mid- and late-game if you end up with a hand full of it while everyone else has their cool, powerful cards. I enjoy the game. I think it's well-designed. But I've just had one too many instances of feeling like I'm trying to do something and the deck I've been constructing is preventing me from doing it, which is exactly the last thing you want out of a deckbuilder. I'm not sure that I'm interested in spending another $40 or whatever to get an expansion that's required to fix that problem.

Glad you're finally enjoying Root, though. Getting the Marauder expansion has me wanting to get it on the table as often as possible these days. It's really one of my all-time faves at this point.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Msample, WadeMonnig

More
13 Apr 2022 18:55 #332287 by Msample
Given that DUNE IMPERIUM is only ten rounds, max, in the original game perhaps people thought the game was too short to warrant trashing cards. Reading TIME OF CRISIS threads on BGG many people thought the same of that game. It wasn't my experience - I trashed aggressively and in the endgame my deck was way leaner and more powerful. DI had very limited ways to trash cards and despite its short length I think this was a shortcoming, so I am eager to try the expansion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, WadeMonnig

More
13 Apr 2022 19:56 - 13 Apr 2022 19:59 #332289 by WadeMonnig

Jackwraith wrote: Duels is actually pretty cool if you're in the mood for Cthulhu Wars or something similar and don't have any other two-player DoaM games. (I, uh, have several.)

Sure, rub it in that I don't have Ankh .:laugh:

Jackwraith wrote: But I've just had one too many instances of feeling like I'm trying to do something and the deck I've been constructing is preventing me from doing it, which is exactly the last thing you want out of a deckbuilder.

True. Dune: Imperium can and will hamstring someone by not providing a symbol you need for a space you wanted to go or to a faction you wanted/needed to boost. Still, it's a thrill to overcome it. Of course, I wasn't there for your games so, it's hard to know if it was the fault of bad luck, the deck that was build, or lack of the ability to shed. May I suggest one house rule for the original game and you let me know what you think?
At the start of your Reveal Turn, you are allowed to Trash 1 card from your hand. (before activating it, of course.)
If all else fails, it was at least a cheaper alternative than purchasing an expansion (which you should get cause Dreadnauts!)
Last edit: 13 Apr 2022 19:59 by WadeMonnig. Reason: stuff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Jackwraith

More
13 Apr 2022 20:48 #332290 by Jackwraith
I have an absurd aversion to house rules most of the time, but that certainly might be something to try.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
13 Apr 2022 20:59 #332291 by WadeMonnig

Jackwraith wrote: I have an absurd aversion to house rules most of the time, but that certainly might be something to try.

Me too, brother. I can only think of two games that have house rules we use. One is for Bilder where we allow sound effects when building. The other is for 4 card Golf (where you are supposed to be penalized points for "knocking" and not having the lowest score. We throw that out when alcohol is being consumed).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
15 Apr 2022 10:37 - 18 Apr 2022 11:25 #332328 by Cranberries

WadeMonnig wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: I have an absurd aversion to house rules most of the time, but that certainly might be something to try.

Me too, brother. I can only think of two games that have house rules we use. One is for Bilder where we allow sound effects when building. The other is for 4 card Golf (where you are supposed to be penalized points for "knocking" and not having the lowest score. We throw that out when alcohol is being consumed).

Me, reading about other people's raucous and hilarious game groups on this site for the last 14 years.
Last edit: 18 Apr 2022 11:25 by Cranberries. Reason: Experimenting with formatting of nested quotes
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, WadeMonnig, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds