October 09, 2023
2482 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Funkoverse vs Unmatched: Map and Mechanism Kombat

More
01 May 2023 00:00 #339149 by Jackwraith
I think there's a certain appeal to fighting games, not...

A deep dive into the design of two of the most prominent fighting games on the market today, from mechanisms to maps and beyond.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., ChristopherMD, Sagrilarus, Jexik, sornars, cdennett

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 May 2023 10:23 #339150 by Cappster_
Well worth the wait. Having only played Unmatched, you've piqued my interest in Funkoverse... except I can not get past the Funko Pops. So I'll happily give this one a shot but on someone else's copy.

I agree with all of your points on Unmatched. I think, for me at least, the deck/hand management aspect wins the day. But of course, the caveat is, I've yet to play Funko.

Thanks for putting this article together^^
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars

More
01 May 2023 10:51 #339151 by Jackwraith
No problem. Glad you liked it. As I mentioned before, it's something that had been sitting in the back of my mind for a while, so it was good to finally get it done. It also got my friend, Brad, back into Unmatched when he'd drifted away from it a bit and exposed him for the first time to Funko, so upsides all around. Got a game of Houdini and the Genie planned for the near future, followed by a game of Leaders, probably on the Barracks map and definitely with Masked Manager...
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Cappster_

More
01 May 2023 10:55 #339152 by charlest
Excellent article.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, sornars, Cappster_

More
01 May 2023 11:14 #339153 by Smeagol
Thank you for the article was just discussing this with a couple people in my regular group recently.

Unmatched is all the craze in my small circle of friends and larger circle of "some times" friends. I do not enjoy it for many of the reasons mentioned. (Also I don't feel it remotely compares to Epic Duels.)

Been wanting to try Funkoverse for some time and now probably will, I see it's dirt cheap on amazon for many sets.

More
01 May 2023 12:32 #339155 by Cappster_

Smeagol wrote: Been wanting to try Funkoverse for some time and now probably will, I see it's dirt cheap on amazon for many sets.

Damnit. Why did you have to point this out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smeagol

More
01 May 2023 15:14 #339165 by hotseatgames
Great article! And impressive, as it now has me considering letting those bobble head monstrosities into my house.

More
01 May 2023 21:09 - 01 May 2023 21:09 #339174 by Jexik
Count me as another who’s a little turned off by the funko pops. My fighting game addiction is currently Summoner Wars, played 99.5% online. It’s more similar to Neuroshima Hex than either of these. But it has cards and dice. So it’s clearly the best.
Last edit: 01 May 2023 21:09 by Jexik.

More
01 May 2023 23:34 #339177 by DarthJoJo
I have no affinity for collectible Funkos, but I will say this: it’s nice having pre-painted minis. I can tell the characters apart immediately, and their big heads make them easy to handle. Unmatched has gorgeous art, but Funkoverse is so much more friendly on the table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
02 May 2023 09:19 #339178 by Jackwraith

Jexik wrote: Count me as another who’s a little turned off by the funko pops. My fighting game addiction is currently Summoner Wars, played 99.5% online. It’s more similar to Neuroshima Hex than either of these. But it has cards and dice. So it’s clearly the best.

Summoner Wars is in the in-between space for me; somewhere between wargame and fighting game, like Neuroshima Hex. I wouldn't call NH a fighting game, but it's certainly arguable (much more so that Spirit Island, FFS.) But things with factions, like both Hex and Summoner Wars strikes me as a different thing. That said, I've been sorely tempted by the new Summoner Wars, but I really don't need to get into another even mildly-collectible thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
02 May 2023 09:27 - 02 May 2023 09:28 #339179 by Sagrilarus
This is great writing in about a dozen ways. Really impressive analysis.

That sometimes involves knowing how many Feints that character has in their particular deck, which is asking more of most casual players than they'd be willing or able to give.

There are six or eight patches of text I'd love to quote and analyze, but I'll leave it at this one. One of the things I found playing Unmatched, and in other games as well, is that I just don't want to spend the time to count other peoples' cards. I'm not so keen on counting my own. It's just not a part of gaming that brings me any positive emotional feedback. So games that depend on it, generally card-driven hand-management games, don't tend to light my world on fire. That's Unmatched's long suit.

Props to the Epic Duels mention, and I think your analysis of Unmatched's maps is spot-on, you're moving towards, or away. That's really the entire decision set from a graphical perspective, and Unmatched's very-limited movement antagonizes that. Epic Duels puts more distance into the mix, more openness, more ability to snooker somebody or figure out how to take a shot from long distance.

Did I mention this is really good writing?

Haven't stepped into a game of Funkoverse yet.

I'll mention this -- this is a very crowded field especially if you think broadly. You could put 20 games into an analysis cycle like this and that would just be the household names. I like compare and contrast articles, as they seem to really highlight strengths and weaknesses. We could use more like this.
Last edit: 02 May 2023 09:28 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, mads b., Gary Sax, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, Sacco, birdman37, sornars, DarthJoJo, Cappster_

More
02 May 2023 10:47 #339181 by Jackwraith
Thanks! I really appreciate it. Uba mentioned this weekend that she enjoyed it because my writing always has so much poured into it. I told her that was from a lifetime of arguing on internet fora where I always wanted to be prepared to answer the challenges before they actually happened. But the enlivening thing about stuff like this is that there is no "right" answer. As a couple people have mentioned, they just can't get past the bighead figures. That's fine. It's all entertainment so you should be entertained by what you're doing. And there are upsides to Unmatched, including that counting cards thing for some people. I often enjoy that aspect to card games. But it's definitely more of a demand on individual players than other games would ask, so the audience will likely be smaller.

More
02 May 2023 14:35 #339183 by mads b.
Great analysis. It makes me want to play the Funkoverse games. But at the same time I know I failed when I tried to introduce the Harry Potter set to the kids even though they are big fans, so probably won't succeed if I try again.

When we played the HP set I think the game had two issues for us. One we only used two characters and then a "blank" and couldn't really find strategies. And two, getting to know the abilities and especially how to use them was a steep learning curve. I think the lack of obvious strategy had a lot to do with only using two characters, but nonetheless synergies were hard to find and it seemed to end up in a slugfest more than anything else. From what I've read since then maybe building teams rather than having good HP characters vs evil HP characters is the way to go.

This learning curve is especially an issue in an open information game because you ideally want to know all the abilities before playing. So you sort of have to internalise them before playing, whereas in a card game getting hit by a card you didn't expect is more, well, expected. So for the first games Unmatched seems more casual because when starting to play them you can just go with what you have and try to manage your hand to the best of your ability. That being said I have only tried the Buffy one and not that much, and I can see that if you play it a lot you really want to count cards and who want to do that?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, DarthJoJo

More
02 May 2023 15:42 #339184 by Jackwraith
Thanks! And, yes, don't get me wrong: There's a learning process to Funkoverse, too, centered largely around exactly what you pointed out. You don't really know how to best exploit the abilities of the characters and so you end up standing around and bashing each other. The other challenge comes from one of the game's central conceits, which is how you arrange your team, token-wise. Is it a better idea to have a diversity of colors, so that you have a greater variety of things to do, albeit less frequently, or have a preponderance of a couple colors, so that you have more access but less diversity and can run the risk of running out of tokens for one of your two colors and be left just doing basic actions? I ran into that in my most recent game when I used up all my gray tokens and then couldn't really use Invisible Man as effectively as he could be.

Some of the sets suffer from that, in that you'll have a group of characters who don't necessarily work well together. Citing just the HP first box, Hermione takes some practice to use well and can seem underpowered compared to those around her (like, say, Bellatrix and Voldemort in that same box) and it's definitely a lesser experience to use the stand-in tokens for a full three-character team. That's what I meant about the irritating practice of selling 4s and 2s for a 6-character standard game. The upside of actually buying two boxes for a full six characters is that you will have four different boards to play on and, depending on which boxes you pick up, four to six different scenarios, too, which can keep you occupied for a while.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., DarthJoJo

More
03 May 2023 18:28 #339197 by Virabhadra
Tried this once or twice with Des and it didn't really click, but I'm looking at the prices on Amazon and thinking about picking some up to try it again. I can play Rick & Morty vs. Doc & Marty now, which is a fun possibility.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Smeagol

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds