Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

GCACW (Great Campaigns of the American Civil War)

More
19 Apr 2018 21:40 #267875 by KingPut
My copy of Roads to Gettysburg arrived this week. The map looks great. I’m looking forward to trying it out. I decided not to order Atlanta. Maybe one day I’ll get it but I figure I’ll get a ton of playing out of Gettysburg first.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2018 21:46 #267876 by Gary Sax
MMP really has me spooked with its 10 years between reprints policy. They're as bad as kickstarter FOMO in that respect.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
22 Apr 2018 23:10 #268013 by Gary Sax
Refreshed on the rules of the series. Gotta get in a game, may even just set up a solo scenario from Battle Above the Clouds or Stonewall Jackon's Way II.

The basics of movement or combat aren't too bad overheadwise, which is nice. Picked it right back up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
22 Apr 2018 23:11 #268014 by Gary Sax

KingPut wrote: My copy of Roads to Gettysburg arrived this week. The map looks great. I’m looking forward to trying it out. I decided not to order Atlanta. Maybe one day I’ll get it but I figure I’ll get a ton of playing out of Gettysburg first.

I didn't realize that an updated Here Come the Rebels was in it too, that is a seriously packed package.

More
23 Apr 2018 16:42 #268065 by Gary Sax
I've got a fever. And the only prescription is great campaigns of the american civil war.

I just brought it out and played the Cedar Mountain scenario from Stonewall Jackon's Way II. A lot of fun. Clunky combat and a bunch of status counters that don't make a ton of sense in 2-3 turn scenarios, but the system is just incredibly dramatic.

More
27 Apr 2018 22:16 #272102 by Gary Sax
I may now be looking at a 100 page scenario book. The games are here. Both are real big, the Gettysburg/Antietam one is titanic.

More
27 Apr 2018 22:46 #272105 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: I just brought it out and played the Cedar Mountain scenario from Stonewall Jackon's Way II.

That’s the battle my relative died at. Col. George Washington Curtis. 23rd Virginia. I’ve considered purchasing the game for that reason alone.

More
27 Apr 2018 23:16 - 27 Apr 2018 23:35 #272108 by Gary Sax
It's a decent one, though a tad dicey:

Also, if you ever decide to take the plunge I'd be glad to play a teaching VASSAL live game or something. I'm dying to play this on live vassal.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2018 23:35 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Apr 2018 15:11 #272151 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: It's a decent one, though a tad dicey:

Also, if you ever decide to take the plunge I'd be glad to play a teaching VASSAL live game or something. I'm dying to play this on live vassal.

I may take you up on that. I can get the rules online and a lot of the titles are out of print.

More
28 Apr 2018 17:00 - 28 Apr 2018 17:01 #272159 by Gary Sax
imho, only worth trying one of the ones post Ed Beach taking over (their first was grant takes command).

The rules play much simpler than they come off in the rulebook.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2018 17:01 by Gary Sax.

More
28 Apr 2018 18:54 #272165 by Gary Sax
Played the learning scenario in Atlanta is Ours. More here:

May go through them one by one. This one was slight but fun, accomplishes what it needs to. Smartly even includes cavalry retreat.

More
28 Apr 2018 20:27 - 28 Apr 2018 20:29 #272169 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: Played the learning scenario in Atlanta is Ours. More here:

May go through them one by one. This one was slight but fun, accomplishes what it needs to. Smartly even includes cavalry retreat.

Dude, that Instagram post needs to be an article on THIS NEW SITE. Excellent content, detailed and insightful analysis of a tried and true, revamped, re-released game system. You may get the first Patreon check with it.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2018 20:29 by Sagrilarus.

More
29 Apr 2018 00:57 #272175 by Gary Sax
Yeah, you know, I've been kind of unsure of where to put anything I write about games for the last year or so. I just dumped it all on instagram but that basically means it's mostly bots and a bunch of people selling their kickstarter who follow me there. I do really like the format, though, I stole it from Chris Farrell's instagram. And at least anyone could technically see it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
29 Apr 2018 08:52 #272186 by KingPut

Gary Sax wrote: I've got a fever. And the only prescription is great campaigns of the american civil war.

I just brought it out and played the Cedar Mountain scenario from Stonewall Jackon's Way II. A lot of fun. Clunky combat and a bunch of status counters that don't make a ton of sense in 2-3 turn scenarios, but the system is just incredibly dramatic.

I actually think the 3 day scenarios are where the system works best. 3 Days is about 3-4 hours in real gaming time. Day 1 active your troops about twice to get them in position. Day 2 is the pivotal day of big choices. Do I push my troops? do I Battle? Do I save them for day 3? Finally, day 3 all the troops will go all out.

Writing this I just remembered that I have a Virgin Queen turn to do. I’ll get to it tonight after watching Infinity Wars.

More
29 Apr 2018 22:59 - 29 Apr 2018 23:01 #272229 by Gary Sax
I think the three turn scenarios tend to be best from a time vs. decisions perspective too in a timeframe I'd actually be able to play. But I think a lot of stuff in the system really only pays off when you start getting longer. It's an odd dilemma.

I set up a three turn scenario, #2 in Atlanta is Ours, and when I finished setting it up to solo it it was just intimidating. I find the series very overwhelming to start in turn 1, especially solo. If I'm playing someone else I feel like I can bluff or look like I've actually got something smart in mind. It's hard to explain. I think it might be because the maneuver in the series is very open ended with many options.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2018 23:01 by Gary Sax.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.462 seconds