Front Page

Content

Authors

Game Index

Forums

Site Tools

Submissions

About

Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

Oath on TTS

More
13 Aug 2020 19:43 - 13 Aug 2020 19:51 #313113 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Oath on TTS
I was quoting the 3.1.0 rulebook about Secrets, which was linked from the mod (yesterday, I think). The 3.1.1 reorders the Major Actions section (Trade moved from 5.5 to 5.3), but the wording is the same. I wonder if that link got update in the module, as I swear I opened 3.1.0 the morning of the game to read up. The "Kit C" rules Mezike posted are slightly older (June), but the Trade and Powers sections seem the same.

Power is section 7, and 7.1.1in both versions says:
"Access: You may only use a card's power if you rule the site or if your pawn is at the site with the card".

7.5.1 modifies that for Battle Plans with the "Added Use Limits" section about rule being required, not just presence.

7.1.4 on Global Powers (thick black-braided boxes that I don't think we saw one of) are just mandatory and apply to everyone everywhere.

7.6.1 on "Forced Citizenship" also confirms that we played that part correctly, as it says follow all the steps and skip the usual supply reset during Rest.

edit:
Classic Beta. The 3.1.1 rulebook Sax linked is named "3.1.1 Rulebook.pdf", but says "3.1.0 August 12, 2020" (ie yesterday) on the title page. The one I was reading is also 3.1.0, dated July 30, 2020.

So it probably was linked on an update mod yesterday. Ha. No idea what may have changed there.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2020 19:51 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2020 02:50 #313147 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Oath on TTS
I read through the rulebook and this was my reaction:

This is definitely not a game that I can learn to play from the rules alone. I’ll just to have to struggle along and hopefully not bog you guys down too much.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike, sornars

More
15 Aug 2020 04:29 - 15 Aug 2020 04:38 #313148 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Oath on TTS
No worries, it won’t take long to run through the basics and from experience I think we can leave all the edge case stuff until it appears during play. Most of the in-game confusion comes when people try to interpret what a rule might mean instead of just doing exactly what it says :pinch: Things will make sense once you start moving pieces around the board!

I should also ps that all of us are super casual so going slow, discussing options, rolling back errors are all par for the course.
Last edit: 15 Aug 2020 04:38 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater, sornars

More
15 Aug 2020 10:53 #313149 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Oath on TTS

Disgustipater wrote: This is definitely not a game that I can learn to play from the rules alone. I’ll just to have to struggle along and hopefully not bog you guys down too much.

I had my brother and 2 friends online with me last night--none of them had done more than power-skim the rules and playbook, and I was able to go over all the victory conditions, characteristics of sites, advisers, and all Major Actions except Campaign in barely over a half hour.

I'm still not solid on Citizen stuff--mostly the combo of "when" and "why"--but Gary was helping me out last night and it makes considerably more sense now.

Despite the initial feeling of being lost because things don't obviously mentally map to other games, I think you can get up to speed fast. And there is absolutely no room for turtling or conflict-avoiders exploring the world without engaging other players--no one can stand on ceremony, with a max of 8 turns and potential for as few as just 5. Everyone has to commit to working towards a win condition or I expect it probably warps things badly.

More
16 Aug 2020 12:25 - 18 Aug 2020 17:09 #313156 by mezike
Replied by mezike on topic Oath on TTS
Next game scheduled for 8pm UK Wed, myself + Sornars + a non-twbg buddy. Room for one more if the time works for anybody + GarySax makes four. back to having an open spot again!
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 17:09 by mezike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, sornars

More
18 Aug 2020 00:42 - 18 Aug 2020 00:43 #313208 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Oath on TTS
Not Sure and I played some 2p. We played a reasonably lopsided win for Not Sure, though I had the vision at the end of a turn, then we played an absolutely murderous beatdown of a people's favor game.

Having a board with 6 sites already ruled by the Chancellor and many cards controlled for drawing favor is savage at low player counts when you're playing an economy/favor efficiency game.

Saving grace is that each game took a little under an hour so not a big deal to lose decisively.
Last edit: 18 Aug 2020 00:43 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Not Sure, mezike

More
18 Aug 2020 00:50 #313211 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Oath on TTS
Like I said in the wrapup, I think both Darkest Secret and People's Favor games are going to be pretty rough in 2 player. The Chancellor starts ahead, and like you said inheriting a big chunk of the board is sort of piling on.

It seems like winning as a solo exile takes a lot of luck and a willingness to fish the deck for a vision, because becoming Oathkeeper is a huge uphill climb. Your vision draws were pretty unlucky, especially in the second game.

It does go quickly with 2 players, but we should definitely switch sides next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mezike

More
18 Aug 2020 15:51 #313231 by Gary Sax
Grrrrrrrrr, my boss called an absolutely impromptu faculty meeting for tomorrow at noon so I'm going to have bail.

More
21 Aug 2020 17:15 #313364 by Gary Sax
New TTS version that fixes some of the weird Chronicle problems, so that's good.

We should do a Chronicle together in this: www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2488782/oat...-your-tts-chronicles when the final Oath version is ready to roll.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.659 seconds