October 09, 2023
2602 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2801 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Letters from Sag -- Space Hulk at the May Getaway

More
17 Jun 2019 00:00 #298491 by Sagrilarus
At first his reaction was “Oh, shit.” and a quick...

On the short list of games that don’t require another review, Space Hulk is near the top.  But on occasion, you stumble into absurdity, and that happened during the May Getaway when my buddy Sam opened his box to find he had left all his Genestealers at home on his workbench for painting.

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jun 2019 08:38 #298492 by Matt Thrower
This is just fantastic. Those poor Terminators must've been terrified.

I had a similar experience once, left one of the cars out of my Automobiles set. So we played with a plastic dinosaur instead. It was quite a sight mixing it up on the racetrack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
17 Jun 2019 08:55 #298496 by hotseatgames
My childhood copy of Clue was missing the knife. We used a full size butter knife. It was quite imposing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike

More
17 Jun 2019 09:04 - 17 Jun 2019 15:08 #298497 by Shellhead
I haven't played my copy of Space Hulk since I moved in 2011, because:
1. A friend broke off the top of Sergeant Lorenzo's helmet the last time I played.
2. That made me realize that I need to finish painting the piece to protect them from clumsy players like my friend.
3. I don't enjoy painting minis.
4. My mini paint has probably all dried up since 2011.
5. There hasn't been much demand to play Space Hulk. Nothing wrong with the game, but there are so many games to play, and I rarely have just one other player.

I'm busy this summer with an exhausting number of projects around the house, but hopefully I can get around to finishing Space Hulk next winter. I've got a friend who will help me repair Lorenzo's helm. My genestealers are about 90% complete, but my Terminators have only been primed so far.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2019 15:08 by Shellhead. Reason: phone auto-correct multi-fail
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Hadik

More
17 Jun 2019 09:53 #298500 by ubarose
This is wonderful!

You are so right that the first scenario is about loss. Once I got so distraught over the death of Sarge that we had to pause the game so so we could have a moment of silence to mourn his passing. After that, I was told that if I wanted to play Space Hulk as the Marines again, I wasn't allowed to name my dudes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, DukeofChutney

More
18 Jun 2019 16:39 #298578 by engineer Al
This was a super-fun read Sag! It's been far too long since I've played Space Hulk. Perhaps it's because of the "emotional" reasons described above? I wonder if being attacked by crackers would make things a little less tense. . .

These "Letters" have all been enjoyable. I would like to propose that your "May Getaway" become the "Monthly Getaway" so we can all have more stories.

More
18 Jun 2019 16:56 #298580 by Gary Sax

engineer Al wrote: These "Letters" have all been enjoyable. I would like to propose that your "May Getaway" become the "Monthly Getaway" so we can all have more stories.

Boy, this would be great, I've enjoyed the *hell* out of having a column that's just playing old favorites and even some unexpected stuff. Thanks for this, Sag.

More
18 Jun 2019 20:11 - 18 Jun 2019 20:18 #298584 by Sagrilarus
I just wrote another one last night for a game I've really enjoyed. Didn't get any photos though, may steal one from the rule book.

If half the regulars here wrote (or recorded) short articles on their recent adventures the front page would roll faster than CNN's. There's a lot of great games out there that don't get the attention they deserve.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2019 20:18 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, san il defanso, engineer Al

More
18 Jun 2019 21:19 #298587 by san il defanso
I'm planning some regular content for my blog, but it'll wait until July. I have family visiting right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
18 Jun 2019 22:18 #298589 by ubarose
@Sag & Nate

That's wonderful news. I'm looking forward to reading both your articles/blogs.

More
20 Jun 2019 18:05 #298715 by UniversalHead
After ten years of putting it off, I finally finished painting this set last week. Hell of a chore and the figures are kind of weird when you loom at them closely, because the genestealers are quite roughly modelled in some areas, yet the terminators are ridiculously detailed. Glad its finally done though and I can play some fully painted games of this classic.

I've done a rules summary for this one of course, it's on my site.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, sornars

More
20 Jun 2019 18:22 - 20 Jun 2019 18:23 #298716 by Shellhead

UniversalHead wrote: ...the terminators are ridiculously detailed.

This. I actually have a bit of a dislike of the GW-style minis because they often have a ridiculous amount of detail that looks cluttered even when painted properly. If the average person dressed like a GW mini, they would have 20 accessories on, including jewelry, a necktie, a big belt buckle, and three wrist watches. And this will probably never change because it is a core business priority to GW. Superficially, GW is a game company, but it is really a paint company posing as a game company. The terminators are ridiculously detailed so that you will buy 20 colors of paints instead of just 2 or 3. All that said, I remain impressed by the excellent sculpt of the terminator minis.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2019 18:23 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hadik

More
20 Jun 2019 18:59 #298717 by ubarose

UniversalHead wrote: After ten years of putting it off, I finally finished painting this set last week. Hell of a chore and the figures are kind of weird when you loom at them closely, because the genestealers are quite roughly modelled in some areas, yet the terminators are ridiculously detailed. Glad its finally done though and I can play some fully painted games of this classic.

I've done a rules summary for this one of course, it's on my site.

You and Frank in the same thread. Wow! It’s like Old Home Day.

You should give us a link to your site. We have some newer members that might not know about where to find the best board game player aids on the internet.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Sagrilarus

More
22 Jun 2019 17:37 #298775 by UniversalHead
Hey thanks, that made my morning. :) I've never commnted too much, but I still visit regularly - usually on a Sunday morning in bed with a cup of coffee. Great to see the site still going strong.

That's www.orderofgamers.com - also still going strong!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Mantidman, Ah_Pook

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.300 seconds