October 09, 2023
2627 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2818 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
20 Oct 2023 14:46 #340812 by southernman
Outstanding:
Mythic Battles: Raganarok - it is on its way.
ISS: Vanguard (single wave shipping :pinch: ) - on its way, Awaken Realms don't screw their customers ... let them age some but do deliver.
Tainted Grail: Kings of Ruin - again, from Awaken Realms and expected Dec/Jan.
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Awaken Realms and no reason why I shouldn't see it mid-2024.
HEL: The Last Saga - part of the Mythic ponzi meltdown. Even though they make good sounds on delivering the four IPs they didn't sell I have a feeling in my gut that once they have delivered the franchised IPs (Darkest Dungeon and 6 Siege), even though HEL was it the KS queue before 6 Siege) they may just evaporate away as it has been a nightmare couple of years for them at a personal level. If they do deliver it will be years away.
I also have a big pledge for Twelve Sins of Herakles, but it is a long way away and I have a lot to play in the next few years so I will likely try and down-size it.
I'm looking at the 10th Anniversay Secrets of the Lost Tomb campaign next week (I liked the game first time around) but that is probably me finished with kickstarters, mainly because I have enough games plus the wait does now annoy me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2023 14:47 - 24 Oct 2023 15:30 #340837 by hotseatgames
Secrets of the Lost Tomb 10 year edition just launched ( gamefound.com/en/projects/cbatarlis/secretsofthelosttomb ) and I had been very interested.... but....

Just the core game is $129 shipped, and they aren't selling expansions piece-meal. I only really want 3 of them, and the way they have them split up, I'd have to go all-in at $458 shipped just to get all three.

It seems very obvious that the core game alone has a TON of content in it, and I'd be willing to pay the asking price. But that leads me to the final roadblock... they estimate delivery at May 2025! And we all know how publisher estimates go. The issue is that they don't even have all of the content prepared yet. So I think I will do my best to resist this, I just don't want to get into a pledge that sits there in limbo forever.

Update: I'm told they will offer individual expansions in the pledge manager.
Last edit: 24 Oct 2023 15:30 by hotseatgames.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Frohike, n815e

More
24 Oct 2023 15:19 #340839 by southernman

hotseatgames wrote: Secrets of the Lost Tomb 10 year edition just launched ( gamefound.com/en/projects/cbatarlis/secretsofthelosttomb ) and I had been very interested.... but....

Just the core game is $129 shipped, and they aren't selling expansions piece-meal...

Yep, just seen it as well - and too rich for my blood these days, it will be $140 shipped but then add our VAT so it will hit $168 just for the base game.
It was a fun game when I had it a few years back, but not that great to make it worth that just for the base.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars, n815e

More
24 Oct 2023 15:26 #340840 by n815e
Not a game, the season 14 crowdfunding started for MST3k and I can’t resist that.

More
24 Oct 2023 15:33 #340841 by Msample

hotseatgames wrote: Secrets of the Lost Tomb 10 year edition just launched ( gamefound.com/en/projects/cbatarlis/secretsofthelosttomb ) and I had been very interested.... but....

.. they estimate delivery at May 2025! .

Hey I'll give them credit for putting a date that far out - 19 months is FAR more conservative than the vast majority of crowdfunding campaigns these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, n815e

More
24 Oct 2023 15:43 #340843 by hotseatgames

Msample wrote: Hey I'll give them credit for putting a date that far out - 19 months is FAR more conservative than the vast majority of crowdfunding campaigns these days.

Agreed, but the sheer amount of expansion material on offer here is insane; a more consumer-friendly way to have done this would be a core box + ready to go expansions campaign that has its own delivery date, and the following year do one for the remaining expansions. But crowdfunding campaigns are rarely consumer friendly so here we are.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars

More
24 Oct 2023 16:23 #340847 by Msample
My guess is that from a production process, its cheaper to run/fuflill all this stuff at once rather than split it up over say a years timeframe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, birdman37, sornars

More
25 Oct 2023 04:57 #340851 by Frohike
It seems like they're going the Aeon Trespass route with none of the pacing. I guess they could eventually launch another campaign for a second printing that would offer the expansions (?), but something about this "big bang" approach to a revised IP gives me Siege of the Citadel vibes, like this is going to be one of those campaigns for a niche game that takes forever to fulfill and ends up being an enhanced anachronism.

More
25 Oct 2023 12:07 #340853 by Shellhead
Secrets of the Lost Tomb looks like uninspired shovelware. The art and graphic design of the components is sub-par, even by board game standards. It came from Everything Epic, so I expect the rule book to be a travesty.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike, sornars

More
25 Oct 2023 13:50 #340855 by southernman

Shellhead wrote: Secrets of the Lost Tomb looks like uninspired shovelware. The art and graphic design of the components is sub-par, even by board game standards. It came from Everything Epic, so I expect the rule book to be a travesty.

Have to disagree, it was a much better game - in play and quality - than their follow-up Lost station game. Rulebook and scenario books were very good and art and component quality pretty good too, the art on the tiles in the original was very good and examples of the new tiles looks as good. Just too damn expensive for me, I'll just have to look for people offloading their first editions now the kickstarter has opened.

More
27 Oct 2023 06:41 #340863 by san il defanso
I very rarely Kickstart anything, let alone really big "all-in" kind of pledges. But I'm in all the way for Worldspanner: Factions. Really excited for that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, sornars

More
27 Oct 2023 14:48 - 27 Oct 2023 15:49 #340866 by dysjunct
I keep going back and forth on DEATHMATCH ISLAND. Semi-competitive RPG based on Battle Royale, Squid Game, Alice in the Borderlands, etc.

It looks really fun. But do I need another RPG? (Looks at shelves, sighs.)

Edit for link to campaign, tell me the right thing to do:
www.backerkit.com/c/projects/evil-hat/deathmatch-island
Last edit: 27 Oct 2023 15:49 by dysjunct.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 Oct 2023 12:18 #340870 by ChristopherMD

dysjunct wrote: I keep going back and forth on DEATHMATCH ISLAND. Semi-competitive RPG based on Battle Royale, Squid Game, Alice in the Borderlands, etc.

It looks really fun. But do I need another RPG? (Looks at shelves, sighs.)

Edit for link to campaign, tell me the right thing to do:
www.backerkit.com/c/projects/evil-hat/deathmatch-island

Who is going to play it with you?

More
28 Oct 2023 13:47 #340871 by dysjunct
I have both an in-person group and a VOIP group. Members of both have expressed interest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
30 Oct 2023 10:29 #340886 by dysjunct
Decided to pass. It's at 4x its goal, so it doesn't need my help to come out, and I don't care about any of the backer bonuses. When it comes out, if my groups are still interested, I'll pick it up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, ChristopherMD, sornars, n815e

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.343 seconds